JBDragon’s Techdirt Profile

jbdragon

About JBDragon

JBDragon’s Comments comment rss

• Aug 25th, 2016 @ 2:56pm

Re: Not all bad news

You mean how Apple will support a iPhone for at least 4 years, while Google only suggests 18 months with Android!!! Considering Google releases security updates for Android every month and only a tiny fraction of Android phones even get them, talking about abandonment!!

• Aug 25th, 2016 @ 9:00am

You forgot, Shutup, we'll sue if you say anything about US unless you pay us lots of money!!!

• Aug 25th, 2016 @ 8:58am

Re: how about an actual 'schedule'????

I recorded it all on my Antenna. Early morning, Morning, day, Night. Each chunk which may be from a hour to 4 hours or whatever, would show what was in that chunk. If there was something in it I wanted to see like Woman's Beach Volleyball, I'd just FF as the fastest speed scanning it and then I'd watch what I wanted.

I just season Passed the Olympic's. It was simple enough and it recorded everything!!! You could have done the same, but with more then just NBC but their other channels also if you wanted.

Google also showed listings on when whatever event you were interested in were on and what channel. There are ways to do and get what you want, with a DVR skip most of the crap.

• Aug 25th, 2016 @ 8:49am

Which is where a DVR comes into play. I had my TIVO recording everything and then I looked at each chunk and see if there was something I wanted to watch in that chunk, and then I Fast Forward through most of it. I zipped right on past 90% of it. No sitting though all the crap. I could just watch what I wanted. If I didn't have TIVO or some other DRV, I wouldn't have been able to take it. I can't take it much on normal TV programs either. My Tivo Roamio now has commercial skip on Primetime programs. 1 push of a button and I auto skip the whole commercial block.

I could never handle watching commercials let alone forced to sit through a show at the time they wanted to air it. I just record everything I want to watch. My Tivo has 4 tuners in it meaning it can record up to 4 programs at once. I let it record and I watch something I've already recorded skipping away all the commercials. DVR's, the greatest TV invention ever.

• Aug 25th, 2016 @ 8:40am

Re: I think there's more to it than this.

Why shouldn't a swimmer get a 1 million dollar deal? They spend YEARS working hard to swim like they do which costs a great deal of money. It should pay off in the end if you're good. 1 million is nothing.

How about Football players or basketball player. Playing what is basically a game and getting MILLIONS for doing that!! Then they also do commercials on top of that for a lot more money. Do you have a problem with that also and not watch?

I'm not a big sports person. I watch so little of it. You're changes of getting on top where you can get the millions is pretty slim no matter if it's a Swimmer or a basketball player.

I also think it's silly to pay for Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. Almost the same price at that point to just pay for cable TV. As a cord cuter myself, I get most of my TV with a large Antenna, and I have Netflix and Amazon. I only have Amazon really for the free second day shipping. I had them both before I cut the cord 4+ years ago. In fact I don't remember exactly when I last watched something with Amazon Prime. I think it was The Man in the High Castle. I do more Amazon Music if anything. It's mostly Antenna and Netflix.

• Aug 25th, 2016 @ 8:31am

The IOC it's self and the copyright strangle hold it has is just out of control also!!!

• Aug 25th, 2016 @ 8:30am

It's how I got my Olympics. I used a Antenna. Luckily I have TIVO!!! I basically set a season pass and had it record everything.

Then I watched a few things I was Interested in. To do that, Fast Forward at the fastest speed to zip though most of the crap to find what I wanted. It would say in the list the most basic like Swimming, Gymnastics, etc if there wasn't anything in that recording block I was interested in, I wouldn't even waste my time scanning through it all.

That saved me a bunch of time. The cost was ZERO!!!

Ad free streaming for $5 more? That would have NEVER been a option and will never be a option. $5 for a person is not going to make up for all the programming and all the commercial breaks they're going to be showing you in those 2 weeks. If you're streaming, you're pretty much forced to sit though any and all commercials as you can't FF though it. That's even better for them then TV. You can't even channel surf when streaming and commercials come on.

• Aug 24th, 2016 @ 4:53pm

(untitled comment)

I know where I live in California, we had these eVoting machines 1 year. They had issues, not reliable. We're now back to filling in bubbles with the old #2 pencil. No hanging chad that way either!!! I think it's the best way. If it's good enough to test kids with in school, then why not and they grow up used to it!!! You stick it directly into the machine and it reads it right then and you have a paper trail.

I think it's much cheaper then these COMPUTERS which is what they are that sit around most of the time and rot away and become outdated in no time anyway. It's way to costly and not Reliable and that's before even getting to hacking.

I'm not sure why anyone would still want a eVoting machine at this point. It makes zero sense unless you have plans for fraud with them.

• Aug 24th, 2016 @ 4:19pm

I have to agree, though fully dressed up like that, why would you even want to go to the beach? Still they should be able to dress as they wish. It's a public Beach, it's not ban one group or another.

On the other hand if you're going to move and leave your Muslim country for another different type of country, maybe you should try adapting to that culture some. I said SOME!!!

Here in the U.S. we used to have emigrants from all over come here and want to adapt and become a American and learn English, etc. These days, we have many that come here and stay Mexican, Wave the Mexican flag in America which makes zero sense. Won't learn English. We go along with this with putting documents in every language. Hell N.Y. just changed their Taxi driver rules where you don't even need to know basic English anymore.

You want to move into other countries, you have to assimilate some at least. There has also been a lot of cases of MEN dressing up in them burka's and doing crime, hiding their identity because you can't see a persons face.

This beach thing, maybe taking things a little far. On the other hand, quite easy to hide a big old bomb under one!!!
    There's no easy answers.

• Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 7:28am

The problems are Unions in general. They're corrupt!!! Early on they used to make sense. Now they're just big power hungry entity's that want more and more and more. They'll drive a business right out of business or to stay alive leave the country. To protecting bad Police and Teachers.

If the police are doing their job as they are suppose to, Camera's shouldn't be any issue. In fact it can be a good thing for you on anyone filing a false report on you. You have video and audio proof you did noting wrong. If you're corrupt, you have things to hide and a Camera is a bad thing.

• Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 7:20am

The problem is firing bad cops because of the Unions. The #1 problem with bad police is the UNION!!!

• Aug 23rd, 2016 @ 7:13am

Yep, I don't have a single IoT device in my house with no plans to have anything in the future until security of these things is a #1 priority.

• Aug 22nd, 2016 @ 5:43pm

How about at least 10% Democrat lies to the 90 Rebpblican, we can't even get that. MSNBC is so far crazy left, it's laughable. CNN has been the Clinton News Network for quite some time. NBC, CBS, ABC, Left, Left, left.

Look at all of them attack FOX News like crazy. Obama hates FOX News and would kill it if all possible. Fox News is really the only FAIR Network. Sure they're more right, but they actually have both sides. How do I know? because many of the people on the show I'd like to strangle with their crazy left wing views. Really though, there's just to many RINO's in Government. Bush, McCain and many others, huge Rino's. They're NOT Republican's. Trump is also no Republican. He's just another RINO.

We've already had the lying Clinton's in Office. Who stole many things from the White House as they left!!! I don't want that or them again. I'm no fan of TRUMP, but splitting the vote for a better option just hands Hillary the chair.

• Aug 22nd, 2016 @ 5:36pm

Re: Re: Re: Re:

Government should just not even be in the Marriage business!!! The reason why? TAXES, Married or Single. When your single, you get screwed in more taxes to be paid out!!! When in fact everyone should be equal, married or not. Even if Marriage right now is illegal, you can pretty much sign a number of documents and pretty much have the same thing anyway on paper making the whole think mute anyway unless you just want to push your agenda.

Get government OUT 100%, anyone, anywhere can marry whoever they want in whatever church or other way they care that matters to them.

• Aug 22nd, 2016 @ 5:27pm

Re: Wouldn't it be awesome if...

Look, it's the Clinton News Network calling out Trump, what's new? Free Pass all day long for Clinton!!! Most mainstream news is so one sided it's laughable these days. I know about as much about Obama now as I did before he got elected. How did he manage to pay for collage, his grades, etc? Do you know? It's all been hush, hush, but man, the digging in trash and everything else for Sarah Palin was out of the world and she was running for just Vice President. Then twisting everything she said. While with Obama, they have shivers going up their legs when he talked. The only way he can, with a teleprompter.

RARELY is he ever asked a hard question. It's always softballs. Then talking about a whole lot of nothing anyway that had nothing to do with the easy question. Zero experience running anything.

Not that I was a fan of BUSH or McCain or any other BUSH as they're just huge RINO's. Really, just a wing of the Democrat Party. That's why the country is going into the crapper.

I liked John F. Kennedy, a Democrat of course, but these days, he would be considered a crazy right wing Republican.

• Aug 22nd, 2016 @ 8:46am

(untitled comment)

I cut the cord around 4 years ago and haven't looked back. I get enough sports on the broadcast channels. I mounted up a nice large directional antenna. I have a Tivo Roamio so I can DVR all that content and Tivo Mini's in the other rooms so I can watch any of that recorded content in my other rooms also. 1 button Commercial Skip is great. Between the antenna with my Tivo setup which costs me ZERO per month, I have Netflix which fills in enough holes. I have to much content to watch.

Once you cut the cord, you don't want to sign up to a bunch of other services and end up paying just as much money as before, for less channels. Maybe you're just watching to much TV!!!

I had to call Comcast when my prices went up to normal rates to get another price drop and it was cheaper to get a bundle with HBO then just Internet ONLY. I don't even have time to watch much HBO, and the cheap cable box they gave me I haven't hooked up as I'd need to run a cable and really don't care. I just wanted Internet ONLY, and went bundle for the cheapest deal. I'm still using the Antenna and Tivo anyway.

• Aug 22nd, 2016 @ 8:26am

(untitled comment)

This self driving car thing was coming. The point at first was to let people with a car that wanted to make some money could use their own car and drive people where they needed to go. You set your own hours and days you wanted to work and that was it.

Since then it's turned crazy. People sign up to do this just and then want to change the rules and complain how they don't like how it is. Instead of being contractors, they now want to be employee's. They want to form a union. You know what happens being a Employee now instead of a contractor? You now have a BOSS. He tells you your hours and days you have to work. They're basically forcing UBER'S hand in this. If you have contractors now trying to force you to turn them all into employee's, so be it. The business model needs to adapt. Remove most of the people and use ROBOTS!!! The robots in this case are self driving cars, which is a form of a robot.

It's pricing yourself out of the marketplace. Most any idiot can drive a car. Some are better then others. It's going to be a while before there's true self driving cars on the road. I also see issues with vandalism and other things. It's coming sooner then later. It's Johnny Cab here we come.

• Aug 11th, 2016 @ 7:52am

(untitled comment)

IoT was never designed for all the crap it's being used for these days. It's because of the piss poor security that it currently has. From what I hear they're working on a updated version with much better security, but it's not compatible with the current version of IoT. I guess you would have to replace everything.

I refuse to buy anything that is a IoT device, especially a Door Lock. Something like Lights is one thing, Locks are a different matter.

• Aug 10th, 2016 @ 5:26pm

I tried a couple of their free 30 days trials. I tried to watch 1 hour long show. I think it was "The Fall Guy". There was like 4 commercial breaks every 10 minutes. It was 4 of the same 2 broke girls commercials, over and over and over and over again. You have to sit there and take it. There's no Fast forwarding or channel surfing. I couldn't take it after about 30 minutes or so, I had enough, and didn't watch anything else in that month.

If you're going to have the service, you have to just pay the $13 for the so called commercial free version!!! Net as always Netflix is cheaper and there's not a single commercial anywhere. Their Original content is far better. I have my Antenna and a Tivo for the Broadcast channels. I record everything before I watch so that I can skip commercials!!! Hulu? No thanks!!! A service owned buy the same old content providers. What did people think was going to happen? It's always sucked, it's just worse now.

• Aug 10th, 2016 @ 5:18pm

Re: Re: Screw Hulu!!!

HULU is unwatchable with Commercials. So the $8 option is out the Window. It's almost not worth watching FREE.

A Antenna and a TIVO, I can record all the broadcast channels and skip past all the commercials. Add in Netflix and I already have to much to watch. Add in MeTV, and AntennaTV and other channels on the antenna, and you get a lot of great classic TV. If you haven't watched it, it's NEW to you!!!

There really isn't much need for HULU. Signing up for all these services like Netflix, HULU, SlingTV, AmazonPrime, how are you saving money. How the hell do you have that much time to watch all that TV?

A couple shows like "The Walking Dead" on AMC I'd get a season pass on Amazon. Then I can watch the show on Monday after it aired Sunday on AMC, but I'd own it and it would be Commercial free. I get the SD version which looks just fine. With all the savings, it's a drop in the bucket.

More comments from JBDragon >>