Ehud Gavron’s Techdirt Profile

gavron

About Ehud GavronTechdirt Insider

Ehud Gavron’s Comments comment rss

• Feb 27th, 2017 @ 11:12am

You catch more flies with honey

Thank you! I have reset my password and once again feel like I have a fresh shave, shower, and clean clothes.

Also... thanks for taking the time to respond to your readers :)

• Feb 17th, 2017 @ 6:35pm

Done and done

I have my two shirts and you have my donation.

I respectfully disagree with the gentleman who thinks he's above it all by donating to Mother Jones and that somehow that's a "better" "financial model."

My "better" "financial model" or whatever you say to make yourself feel good when you cruelly tell someone in need -- that you, in a position to help, refuse to help them -- says he's wrong.

You have some of my money. As I make more, so will you.

My best wishes,

Ehud

• Feb 10th, 2017 @ 10:34am

This isn't funny. I did invent it.

I've been called "E-Male" (because my friends call me "E" for Ehud) for a long long time.

That dash between E and Male is just there to make it clear that don't call me Ehmolly. It's E Male.

Don't be hating on me because I come from a foreign country or have a name you think is funny. I'm still Emale. I wanted to get a patent on it but they didn't have any when I was born on Possible Future Nicknames™. I wanted to get a trademark but I wasn't using it in commerce. I wanted to get a copyright but nowadays everything's covered by copyright so I FREAKING HAVE ONE.

Emale. ©1980-2017 Ehud "Emale" Gavron

Please correct the spelling on the shirts you're sending me. I ordered two.

Thanks!

• Jan 31st, 2017 @ 9:57pm

Re: I see my post has been killed because I critisized Glyn

I doubt your speach[sic] was chilled because you critisized[sic] Glyn.

More likely you were too wasted to hit "Submit".

• Jan 31st, 2017 @ 6:09pm

Some might argue...

"Some might argue that means it has an axe to grind against the authorities and secret services, making its report less credible"

Some might argue that if you're a reporter reporting on facts you should state those facts, not attempt to slide them into a "some might argue" statement without saying which way YOU argue.

Some might argue that "has an axe to grind" is passing a judgment on an entire site. If done prior to reading the material that constitutes pre-judgment or in simple words prejudice.

Some might argue that "making its report less credible" is an attempt to claim exactly that lack of credibility without saying so.

Stop pussy-footing around. If there's no issue why would you say these things? If there is an issue why would you not?

Innuendo and implied nonspecifics is the hallmark of the disparagement lawyer letters. Some might argue that if you have an axe to grind you should step away from the article and let someone without one write it. That would make the report more credible.

• Jan 31st, 2017 @ 11:53am

Also missing...

Director of the office of science and technology policy.

Formerly on the list.
    Now no longer there.

I'm sure intelligence shouldn't be provided to anyone responsible for policy... nor should someone with a focus on science and technology interrupt the "adults at the table" with... facts.

• Jan 30th, 2017 @ 12:19pm

Re: Re: Re: Didn't work here in Australia, irrespective of what the pollies say.

"... then ok... they can have the guns."

You are welcome to give up YOUR rights and YOUR firearms and prance around in tights all day long, but you don't get to give away my rights or anyone else's rights or "the guns" as you so call them.

The right to bear arms including firearms is enshrined in the United States Constitution and I don't give a hoot what criteria you just pulled out of your backside based on which you're willing to undermine that.

Scoot.

• Jan 30th, 2017 @ 12:16pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: why gun control will never work.

It's ok to admit your ignorance, and I applaud you for it.

Drink[sic] driving laws don't stop anything. They merely provide penalties for the act. (Pick your source of choice: https://www.google.com/search?q=drunk+driving+laws+don%27t+stop+drunk+drive)

Acting like a dick is not against the law. Confiscating firearms is.

I hope that wasn't too subtle for you.

• Jan 30th, 2017 @ 10:46am

That1Guy

Typically nails it pretty good.

On this one... NAILED IT!!!111!!ONE!!!

• Jan 23rd, 2017 @ 2:03pm

Baby and bathwater

Throwing out the baby with the bathwater is exactly what the US electorate did this year removing all trace of political cronyism and with it all trace of political savvy.

• Jan 13th, 2017 @ 12:25am

Go Team TechDirt!

I have nothing substantive to add except for my support of TD both in terms of always donating as much as I can... in spreading word of its successes (and now its challenges) and in getting people fired up to support TD.

I would love to see MR or KW or any of the other "extremely effective" players in 1st AM defense make a move here, and am patiently waiting for that, as well as the "okay okay, donate to us" page.

I did try to get some background info for you... I called Dell Technical Support and asked who invented email and the guy on the other end said "Shiva Ayyadurai, idiot"... in a Mumbai accent... and hung up on me. /s

• Dec 30th, 2016 @ 9:26pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Freedom of expression - until you don't like it

You're hilarious. My "likely contacts and associates" aren't stupid.

I'm perfectly ok with people registering whatever domain names they like. This is still a country where we value freedom of expression. The ends do not justify the means, and we do not support censorship.

Now go troll elsewhere. I'm off to enjoy the NY weekend. I don't have time to answer rhetorical questions posted by people too cowardly to sign their name, too cowardly to allow speech they don't like, and I'm sure the next "analogy" will have something worse than confused business associates, like, say the poor children we should be thinking of.

Hide under your bridge; happy new year. Be literate.

• Dec 30th, 2016 @ 7:17pm

Re: MSFT Word?

> Sorry, but the internet runs on UNIX, not "Linux".

Sorry but the Internet runs on GNU/Linux not UNIX™. Very few people use UNIX and those include AT&T in their old DMS switching systems and some government operations. Everyone else uses some open-source variant based on either BSD Unix or Linux.

> Linux is a kernel, not an operating system.
    Most people who say "I use Linux" refer to the modern-day meaning which is the "GNU/Linux ecosystem." If you want to be a stickler and insist that Linux only refers to the kernel you might want to start capitalizing "Internet" since lower-case Internet means some random internetwork.

> Linux kernel based operating systems are not ready for production...
    This, and the rest of your rant is factually wrong, technically incorrect, demonstrates a lack of understanding of how operating systems work, conflates file systems with operating systems, and in general represents a decent view of the state of the art of Linux in 1991.

> Now, if you'd said, Solaris, HPUX, AIX, I wouldn't have argued.
    Yes, you're definitely stuck in 1991. Thanks for informing the world that if everyone said the thing you think you wouldn't argue. Fortunately the world is not hear to hear you argue nor prevent your arguments.

Argue away. You're still wrong and 15 years behind the times*.

Happy New Year.

Ehud
    * In 2017 you'll be 16 years behind the times. Start counting down till midnight tomorrow.

• Dec 30th, 2016 @ 5:43pm

Re: Re: Freedom of expression - until you don't like it

First, you assume incorrectly. Second there are no "security problems" in allowing people to register domain. Finally, thanks for wishing me a life of misery for expressing the idea that anyone should be able to register any domain name or speak their minds or publish their words.

I am a consultant on security, have an RFC on domain names, and don't wish ill on people who fight for free expression nor do so anonymously.

happy new year.

Ehud

• Dec 30th, 2016 @ 3:40pm

Freedom of expression - until you don't like it

"...which apparently had no problem with some internet rando snagging a URL closely associated with the international group that governs domain names. "

Yes, that's exactly how the freedom to express oneself by registering a domain name works. Can you just imagine the horror if registrars refused to register names that "appear" to be "associated" with other entities.

It would make registrars worse than the USPTO.

I'm surprised, Tim, that you would say this, implying therein that censorship of domain name selection is a goal to which registrars should strive.

Happy New Year. (Feel free to register that as a domain name, if you like. Oh shoot, never mind, it's taken. https://uniregistry.com/market/domain/happynewyear.com)

Ehud

• Dec 15th, 2016 @ 2:38am

TD missed the boat

TD usually opines that once a device is purchased the user should be its owner, not empowered nor disempowered by software updates from the manufacturer.

And yet... "the onus remains on customers who, for whatever reason, think it's nifty to ignore recalls and carry around a potential fire hazard during the holidays."

No. The onus doesn't. Nifty doesn't mean what you think it means.

These people bought hardware and they intend to use it. Apparently the "sweet sweet offers" aren't so sweet so that 133,000 devices are still out there.

Stop blaming the "victims" and stop suggesting that the mfg gets to brick devices. The problem isn't the users/victims.

Clue. By. Four.

• Dec 8th, 2016 @ 5:40pm

PACER (ECF) is great. Billing is not.

The concept is awesome. The implementation has been ok except for when they wanted to delete decades of records https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140821/07015128275/pacer-deleting-old-cases-time-to-fix-pacer.sh tml.

However, none of that justifies their high fees, ridiculous charges (docket report costing dollars) all for what should be a reimbursement for legitimate fees... all of which have dropped over the years.

Hopefully we will get progress. Public Access to Court Electronic Records should not be free (or close to) for all, not held back by Ridiculous Identify Poverty Overcharge Fine Folks.

• Dec 2nd, 2016 @ 11:36am

-$198/mo to Comcast

I cut the cord in November 2015. My Comcast bill went from $198/mo to $0/mo. They lost a little bit more than $5.50 on me.

Now we should also add the costs... after all, surely they saved something in NOT providing me service. Well, it was my backup Internet connection so $0 on bandwidth, and it costs them $0 after the initial hookup to "also" provide me the same channels my neighbor gets.

So they went from a cost of $0 to a cost of $0 and a net of $198 to a net of $0.

I enjoy their weekly mailings offering me Xfinity or Comcast or whatever else... just not anything I'd ACTUALLY want like uncapped high-speed service with a static IP. Fortunately I have that from another provider.

• Nov 15th, 2016 @ 12:11pm

Scott Greenfield opines similarly

• Nov 8th, 2016 @ 1:39am

Hillary's only connection to Watergate is she was on the team investigating it. She wasn't fired from it and there was no unethical behavior. The only people saying otherwise are Rush Limbaugh and Donald Trump. See https://www.reference.com/history/hillary-clinton-s-connection-watergate-bd95ec761bddda24

Your vote goes to Kim Jung Un because you didn't bother to familiarize yourself with the US Constitution, Article II, Section 1 which clearly states one has to be born in the United States to qualify.

You sir, epitomize this: