farooge’s Techdirt Profile

farooge

About farooge

farooge’s Comments comment rss

• Jun 4th, 2015 @ 2:17pm

(untitled comment)

Am I really missing anything by never, ever, using my Twitter account? If it's important Buzzfeed will have clickbait up within minutes ... and I'm not saying that's bad. They 'bait' me because they follow up a lot of 'real' stories with real reporting.

• May 4th, 2015 @ 4:25pm

Hush Bard, you'll get my money when I'm ready to give it to you.

Copyright is obnoxious on a personal level, I'll copy all the files I want and it's none of your darn business.

A limited form of copyright? Sure, 10 years and pick one: broadcast or physical (or some different, but still SIMPLE, categories) .. and JUST ONE copyright too. Composer, performer, stage manager, whatever - you guys figure out where the money goes. And that's where I'd be willing to END negotiations.

I could live with a copyright law like that ... and probably more importantly, teach my kids to respect it.

• Mar 11th, 2015 @ 12:29pm

Re: Why ?

@Pierre "I don't mean to sound offensive. I'm French"

Is that actually a thing that can happen in real life if I'm Anglo? (j/k, I couldn't resist)

Interesting that you don't have to. Back when cable started here that was a selling point that I knew (as a 10 year old) wouldn't last long .. and it didn't. YES, it's obnoxious but we have NO CHOICE.

• Mar 11th, 2015 @ 9:35am

I'm a good customer ...

I found out last week we paid Comcast about ~$500 dollars (I didn't know about - wife pays bills) and 3 vacation days (that I certainly knew about at the time) to get Comcast to FINALLY climb the pole outside my house and replace their 'broken thing' so my internet would stay connected for more than 15 minutes. Also: I had to order phone service to get their wonderful 'computer system' to allow tech to be scheduled in the first place (this was back in October).

I know all about how they value customers .... then they have commercials talking about how the people who actually come to your house are going to be nice, on time and such ... that has NEVER been an issue for me, EVER (3 houses all over Nashville) - it's been the 'system' not allowing the customer service rep to do what they KNEW I needed or the (outsourced) call centers OBVIOUS marching orders.

I can't wait to call about getting my money back (that I was promised wouldn't be charged in the first place), it'll be awesome I bet - I'm actually not sure it'll be worth $500 to deal with them again (best customer ever, amiright?)

At least Google Fiber is coming here .. and I work for the local utility Google had to negotiate with. I just made them (Google) a list of our approved manufacturers and part numbers so they could start ordering the new poles they'll be installing to make this all work.

• Mar 10th, 2015 @ 12:21pm

This is not bluster

I have a vague idea what's on HBO (Game of Thrones??, Hunger Games? .. maybe) but I had planned on getting this service as soon as it was available mostly because I loathe 'cable' and wanted to support legitimate alternatives - but an APPLE exclusive? Are you kidding me? This post is the first time I learned how long it was neutered (3 months makes it _slightly_ less obnoxious). I'm not sure now (probably not). BTW: Deluge seems like a great alternative to uTorrent these days ...

• Mar 5th, 2015 @ 1:11pm

(untitled comment)

help, SOS

• Jan 29th, 2015 @ 9:02am

She's my rep and I find her repulsive, BUT ..

Let me preface this with: "Every time I hear her talk I want to reach through the speaker and punch her in the nose" (I don't vote so it's not partisan) and I completely agree that the entire problem with broadband could be 'fixed' with REAL competition.

Ok, Marsha is my rep (to whichever part of Congress she belongs) and AT&T basically 'wrote our bill' (right?).

I live in Nashville and work downtown at the local electric utility (NES) .. whose poles Google will be using for their fiber (I've actually heard they're going to REPLACE A BUNCH of them) and I can see the state capital from my window AND I know some of the people who are familiar with the negotiations.

So, if these bills are so bad then:

A) How did this happen so (seemingly) easily?
    and
    B) Why haven't I heard a peep about any 'stupid laws' standing in the way?
    and I'll add a third ...
    C) would have this been possible without the 'AT&T legislation'?

• Sep 17th, 2014 @ 9:50am

"Barbara Starr"

Was the 'Star' of my epiphany about 'the news'.

I started reading the press briefing and realized she was taking directly from them with the same (fucking arrogant) attitude and (usually banal) talking points the flacks who got their paychecks from the government (well, directly at least) were using.

That seems like ages ago and I can not believe she's still employed in the 'news' business

• May 6th, 2014 @ 3:29pm

I love this idea

For the time being ... this is a great compromise.

• Feb 8th, 2013 @ 5:28pm

this is awesome

that is all

• Nov 15th, 2012 @ 5:19pm

it's sad that I feel compelled to say this, but ...

... thanks man.

One would think Dr. Borlaug would also have some nice words for him if he was still with us.

• Jul 12th, 2012 @ 5:19pm

yea, (what?) you said, i think

"shill trolls" ... please 'citate' b/c i don't

• Jul 12th, 2012 @ 3:48pm

Re: Was it J?

My bad ... the Sugerhill Vid

• Jul 12th, 2012 @ 3:47pm

Was it J?

MMMiiikkeee

I love this and I ...think... I remember it (I'm 40)

• Jun 27th, 2012 @ 3:47pm

Arguing over the Constitution

(IMHO) almost misses the point ... there will always be disagreement about such things.

My first question is under whose authority does the USTR deny a Senators request? Why isn't he arrested for doing that? (or at least be "forcibly removed from the building" so the Senator has access?) How can that be legal; does he have a note from the President?

and if we can play games with 'who has what authority' (concerning treaties) then we can also change our assumptions about the public's ability understand (via our ELECTED reps) AND the motivations, tactics, & morals of those close to the negotiations.

two-way

• Feb 3rd, 2012 @ 1:57pm

(untitled comment)

ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha; it's over

is the 'k st' area suitable for heavy industry? can we beg Bill Gates and Google to buy it up and encourage industry to put some union jobs there (free beer and public transportation from 1700 to 0300 on fri & sat!?!)? wouldn't that be awesome?

they could offer dibs on the choice positions to out of work lobbyists. you know, something they're actually qualified for (and, if you think like me, their karma _probably_ says they deserve) like bumper installing for one of those people who drive the cars off the line

this is so much faster than i ever dreamed possible

last thing - thanks Poland.

(yea, it's _always_ 1/2 full ...)

• Dec 14th, 2011 @ 11:02am

(untitled comment)

thanks Mike, I've seen (& enjoyed) probably 35k+ of them

• Sep 8th, 2011 @ 10:32am

What?

If he really wants to pretend his kid doesn't live in the same world we do then keeping her off myFacebookSpace (or whatever) is easy if you use my patented process

Me (or properly licensed parent): "I don't like that, please stop going there."

Child: (crickets)

Me (or properly licensed parent): "I told you last week, no myFaceBookSpace and I wasn't kidding: STOP NOW"

Child: (crickets)

Me (or properly licensed parent): "I told you no myFaceBookPage and you ignored me - you've earned yourself a spanking"

Child: suddenly begins listening (or at least hiding it better)

I'll even give him a free license to use my method if he asks nicely and kisses my pinky ring.

• Sep 8th, 2011 @ 9:41am

(untitled comment)

(think Rockey & Bullwinkle)

>>"But it's not clear how the trend of diminishing status for teaching professionals can be reversed."

OR

"But it's not clear how the trend of giving a shit about the 'status' of your profession can be reversed. Status among peers - sure, whatever floats your boat (or bank account)

I know, some businesses are all about status (like Floor64) - but that's a choice.

• Jun 9th, 2011 @ 6:31am

Korean companies ..

motivations are always suspect to me (esp Samsung) - just look at the changes they made to their laws for Disney.

But this is awesome news - they already make great hardware and now I feel a lot safer buying it .... as I now feel safer assuming won't be 'upgraded' the Sony way.

More comments from farooge >>