AC720’s Techdirt Profile

About AC720

AC720’s Comments comment rss

• Nov 3rd, 2015 @ 3:48am

(untitled comment)

As a rule, I don't play games on my phone. The few I keep I did pay for, but it's not like $5 one time is a lot of revenue to any company. They're never going to make it depending on users like me, and no I won't pay more because it's a game. On my phone. A few inches of screen automatically devalues the content displayed on it.

Compare to a PC MMO, which is where I spend a lot of time and money. I get immersed in it, have friends and voice chat and spend a lot of time making screencaps and recordings of gameplay. And it's all on a glorious large screen where I can forget about everything. Those games get my money. Just spent $200 on one of them just to beta test the game and another $40 buying the incredible music from the game.

Games like this are normally free to play but of course use the cash shop model and I will throw money at games that way too. So I feel no guilt about not doing so on phone games I don't have.

Not even mentioned in this complaint is companies like Amazon deciding most of their app library is "truly free" or whatever they call it. Ask users what they think "free" apps are worth and no developer is likely to want to hear the reply. But developers AGREE to have Amazon give away their apps. Nobody forces them to do it. How they make any money on it, I have no idea. But that's not my problem. Plenty of businesses run on shitty flawed business plans that aren't the responsibility of their customers.

• Oct 8th, 2015 @ 8:13am

(untitled comment)

What a weird world we live in where you PAY to attend a school, and by so doing, apparently the school thinks it gains the right to control all aspects of your life and/or enforce rules as it wishes.

We're paying them. We are the customer and they aren't the Soup Nazi, so why are we all accepting this bull?

In NO other sort of business would the person who pays accept this kind of abuse and control and meddling from the business they are patronizing.

Unless you are hiring a dom. Then yes, you are paying to be abused.

The whole American education system needs to be gutted and rebuilt. It won't be because those in power like it that way and because sheeple students just want to graduate and don't want that paper held hostage.

• Apr 28th, 2014 @ 3:22pm

It's two things

This happens for two reasons: First, journalists for the big networks either don't have the freedom to go off and ask tough questions or they play to a crowd which has already made up its mind so the reporters don't need to break anything new. They just have to keep the old folks happy.

And two, people suspect journalist's motives anyway and don't believe them. Every big network reporter has an hidden agenda, you know. Even the ones working for networks strongly identified with one side or another are often accused of being a plant from the other side. Nobody trust anyone.

When a comedian comes along and does this kind of interview, you KNOW what his hidden agenda is, which is to make the subject look like an idiot and makes jokes. To do that, they need to ask the questions regular reports won't touch or can't touch, or didn't think about. It takes more brains to do comedy than it does to do regular reporting so automatically you are likely to be dealing with a much smarter interviewer than usual. Regular airhead reporters could not possibly DO comedy, other than to be the punchline.

So that's how this happens. And yes, it's sad.

• Apr 23rd, 2014 @ 5:06am

(untitled comment)

I dunno... in the fourth grade, I used to get put in a headlock and pummeled and dragged around the school athletic field, had kickballs hurled at my face, rocks thrown, etc. I left that field every day beaten and dirty. And all the while this battery was happening, multiple teachers looked on and did absolutely nothing. Nothing. No reports, no complaints, not even a "hey you kids cut it out" and course no punishment dealt out to the other kids. Eventually they put me in a class for learning disabled kids, in retrospect mainly to get rid of me.

Looking back on it, I still don't see where all the hate was coming from. But the school did nothing to stop it, made no reports, etc. In their official eyes, none of it ever happened.

Had I known how, I would have killed myself back then. I went through a lot of misery in that place and it still affects my life today because it totally derailed my academic future and sent me onto a path of skipping school entirely after grade 6. Nope. Never got caught. Skipped high school, college, all of it. This means I have no career and nothing to contribute to starting a family I couldn't support anyway.

So when I look at why I have failed to achieve, of course I blame myself but I also have to look at where it started going so wrong, where a smart kid crashed into a brick wall. And that was being bullied like a dog in 4th grade. When nobody did a damn thing to stop it.

It would have been better off for me to have died back then.

• Apr 23rd, 2014 @ 3:15am

Google won't get too involved. With Google fibre TV service, they are in fact a cable company themselves doing the very licensing and payments to broadcasters that Aereo is avoiding.

• Jan 14th, 2014 @ 4:25pm

(untitled comment)

On virtually every website where TWC vs DirecTV has been opened for comments, TWC is getting cremated. I haven't seen even one pro-TWC comment, and it's not like people love DirecTV either. They just seem unanimous that reality sucks, the movies suck, the forecasting is mediocre at best and there are plenty of alternatives that either do it better or just plain do it faster, or both.

TWC needs to take a look at this and realize their brand is a disaster area all by itself, even worse than their trainwreck website. They have wrecked something people USED to care about. And maybe it's too late to ever get back to those days where TWC mattered a lot, but if they don't do something to fix their image and right now, they will have so little left, they will be able to run their entire operation out of a used FEMA trailer.

Maybe they need to start packing up on Circle 75 Parkway right now. It's done. It's all over but the shouting. DirecTV has dared to speak the word nobody would dare say, and that word is obsolete.

Dish, now it's your turn. Pull the plug.

• Jan 9th, 2014 @ 9:29pm

(untitled comment)

After watching John Miller quite often on CBS Morning Show (or whatever they call it this week), I got to like his reporting quite a lot. He seemed to get it and the show made good use his talents. I thought he was a huge asset to the network.

It's disappointing to hear he may have been telling us something less than the truth.

On the other hand, he always did seem like the mission (whatever that was) was always first with him.