aeortiz’s Techdirt Profile

aeortiz

About aeortiz

aeortiz’s Comments comment rss

• Feb 25th, 2014 @ 2:03pm

The CC has an anti-Chavista "bias" if you will. But they do acknowledge the disinformation you are mentioning exists, and they don't buy it either.

Read their articles, even if you disagree. they are very informative, and much of their material can be found elsewhere on the web.

• May 24th, 2013 @ 7:26am

Obama a master doublethinker

His comments demonstrate his mastery of the delicate art of double think.

Two definition of doublethink from Wikipedia and 1984:

To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget, whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again, and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself that was the ultimate subtlety; consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word 'doublethink' involved the use of doublethink.

The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them... To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just as long as it is needed, to deny the existence of objective reality and all the while to take account of the reality which one denies all this is indispensably necessary. Even in using the word doublethink it is necessary to exercise doublethink. For by using the word one admits that one is tampering with reality; by a fresh act of doublethink one erases this knowledge; and so on indefinitely, with the lie always one leap ahead of the truth

• Jan 11th, 2013 @ 7:06am

Avoiding litigation

I suspect these clauses were designed to protect Apple from litigation.

• Nov 30th, 2012 @ 6:52am

Sound like the setup for a joke

"A philosopher, a scientist and a software engineer" walk into a bar...

• Nov 29th, 2012 @ 12:36pm

We the People

Would this be worth petitioning in the White House's "We the People" site?

• Nov 6th, 2012 @ 2:58pm

Goodbye Star-Wars Commercials

Would the recent appearances of Darth Vader in commercials be possible if Disney held the rights...

• Aug 15th, 2012 @ 7:36am

In Mexico, major studio films never got here to begin with

The studios have such a low regard for the Latin American audience, that they never offered good movies in Netflix to begin with.

I buy Blue Ray discs of movies I like, except when they're ridiculously overpriced. So I generally wait a year or so after their release. Before that, I watch them in the movie theater and download them from torrent sites. I don't feel guilty. I'm paying at least twice for them, and waiting over a year for them.

If they were offered at a normal price, 2 weeks after release, I'm sure their sales would go through the roof in Mexico.

I refuse to buy bad movies, pay for cable, or Netflix. I don't want to encourage Hollywood to shoot itself in the foot any further.

• Jun 26th, 2012 @ 7:20am

I think you _should_ use the word corruption when talking about the RIAA and the MPAA. It's the perfect word for it, and I hadn't seen it. It seems obvious now.

They're focused on infringement, while they've committed bribery and abuse of monopoly, and eroding democracy. They're the ultimate hypocrites!

If you measure the impact of infringement vs the impact of their corruption on the common good, they are the worse offenders.

• Apr 26th, 2012 @ 1:19am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bandwith and Fake Interaction

I do most of my interaction on Facebook with 10 or so friends, and we do see each other in person at least every few days or so. After Google+ and Facebook introduced circles and friend lists, I put those people on a "close friends" group, and share the private stuff only with them.

When I didn't have Facebook I was nagged silly with emails from people inviting me to join. After I joined 5 years ago, I get 1-2 friend requests almost every day.

I used to be very popular (I was in a megachurch worship team in Honduras) and knew 600-800 people by name there. Besides that, I've made several hundred acquaintances in each city I've lived. Them make up the bulk of my fb friends.

I saw Shelly Turkle's most recent TED talk, which explains her attitude much better than the article does...she used to be the type who shared everything online, and advocated others to do so. She still does, but questions herself as to why.

• Apr 24th, 2012 @ 3:49pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bandwith and Fake Interaction

Not at all, I'm a "Facebook whore" with over 1000 fake friends...and that's where my opinion is coming from...I don't share my life with them nor they with me, only a babble of status updates.

I'm from Honduras by the way, but have liven in the US and now live in Mexico.

• Apr 24th, 2012 @ 8:23am

Re: Re: Bandwith and Fake Interaction

No, I just care about privacy...and employment in my future.

• Apr 24th, 2012 @ 7:23am

Bandwith and Fake Interaction

I think one reason texting, chatting, and even video chat can't replace physical human interaction is bandwidth.

When we are in the same room with someone else, neither of us can control the non-verbal information that makes up about 80% of communication according to some.

Because we only present a squeaky-clean, groomed version of ourselves in our facebook profiles, or anywhere online, we miss out on most of the data about the people we are interacting with.

The sensation of having a human being near you is also much more comforting, they can hug you (or punch you) if you need/deserve it.

• Dec 30th, 2011 @ 9:26am

I agree with you that tickets are a more important metric than revenue, but not the rest of what I hear you saying. It seems to me that your apparent dislike of Mike's ideas misled you a bit.

Most of the arguments in the article are Roger Ebert's, not Mike's, and I hope you agree Ebert's opinion is not meaningless. He's the leading movie critic in the business. Both are experts within their fields.

• Jul 27th, 2011 @ 7:30am

Au Contraire, Chavez is very smart. He is a skilled strategist and orator. He has millions of followers, made mostly through promises of money and power disguised as concern for the poor and socialism.

He is, in the words of Tolkien, a "wise fool". That's what makes dangerous. He is a traitor to the poor in whose name he governs, and an enemy of democracy in Latin America. But he hides it very well.