I listen to about 95% of my music through spotify, and I pay the $5 a month for no commercials. The other 5% is from driving around and listening to the radio. So pretty much spotify is the reason I don't need to buy/download/whatever music anymore, not anything else that the music industry might claim.
I would think that the 10 year deal with Universal would prevent that, since the whole point is to force people to continue paying for cable. If HBO just bypasses that for their own service without Netflix, Universal is just as screwed as if they went to Netflix
I think people are missing the larger idea of what's happening here, and that's HBO becoming the closest thing Netflix has to a direct competitor. The groundwork is already in place with the aforementioned Go service. Add in exclusive access to movies from all those studios, and $15 a month for HBO Go starts looking nearly as appealing as $15 a month for Netflix.
I don't consider that a competitor at all, certainly not one for the same price. Because in order to get that you need the $100+ cable package, which is why it will never compete directly against Netflix.
If having the device active was all it took to potentially take down a plane then their rules wouldn't do jack shit to prevent that anyways. I've listened to my phone (in airplane mode) while taking off, all you have to do is have a hoodie on. They can't stop that, so how would they stop someone trying to 'take down the plane' by having the device on, when they could just leave it in their pocket or face down, and they wouldn't even know it's on. And an electronic device doesn't hurt more when it's turned on, just an fyi to the FAA
Isn't the whole point of spending all that money for the advanced features, Which the other Tim said in the article No one spends $80 for a "plug and play" mouse (or over $300 with the keyboard -- which also requires a connection and an account).
It was published in 2005
$20k for a 7 (almost 8) year old book in a week (or two, don't remember how long this bundle was)? That's pretty damn good if you ask me. Not to mention Bob just ignores most everything that doesn't go well with his 'argument'
Re: That's a narrow niche: wait until China copies 'em.
Have you never heard of the CwF thing they have talked about here? That's exactly what this is about. CW&T connected with their fans, and appealed to them to not support the other company who copied. If CW&T had been a shitty company, I doubt people would have really cared too much about supporting CW&T vs another company. But yeah, Mike never talks about that and is totally against it.
Nobody said it was completely stopping innovation. We have said several times that they are slowing/hindering innovation. How much faster would it grow if they spent more money on innovating than on lawsuits? How many more startups would be successful if they didn't have to worry about being sued out of existence because of the cost, not because of a valid claim.
Yeah, cause the patents that Apple is using to sue people over are brand new and innovative, and not overly broad at all. I mean slide to unlock?! holy crap, where do they come up with this. Bouncing screen animations, Open as, those guys are brilliant
Universal's employee who sent the DMCA "had no idea what to look for," that still might not be enough to show subjective bad faith
How is having someone look for something, when they don't know what to look for, not bad faith? The only way it could be worse I'd think is if they didn't have anyone look at it (which they automated takedowns do).
Sorry I sold you this fake painting, but I asked someone on the street if it was legit and they said they thought so...
Also, where is it that they are giving away free copies? The only free copies Google gives away are of books in the public domain. Being able to see a couple pages does not constitute giving away the book.