Well, the whole concept of royality for entertainers is right up there too -- only enriches the publishers not the entertainers themselves -- the idea of being paid multiple times for each performance is outlandish: a doctor should get paid for his "performance" of birthing a person every person's birthday?
The award from the troll(patent and copyright suits) ought to be what the troll was trying to scam out of the plainiff (with interest from the filing of the suit thru the award). Jail time for CEO and COB until payment is made.
Looks like it is [past] time to do a MAJOR reform of the patent "system", like:
* Have all current patents expire in 1 year
* No patents for software (use copyright) or any living thing
* Any patent that is not is use by the patent holder is null and void
* Patents may be sold only once
* Patents must be licensed for no more than 0.01% of "device"_using_patent's cost.
* Patents are given for maximum of 18 years or patent's holder going out of business (being acquired is going out of business)
* Patents must be vetted by publishing and requesting evidence of "prior art".