by Mike Masnick
Thu, Aug 23rd 2012 12:44pm
As the two major party Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates begin the fall election season by doing various bus tours around the country, there's one other effort that's going to be on the campaign trail as well: the open internet. Reddit and Breadpig founder Alexis Ohanian has announced the Open Internet 2012 bus tour, hitting various towns and cities across the country, highlighting the value and importance of the open internet. As we've noted in the past, the importance of openness often falls by the wayside, since "openness" doesn't have its own lobbyists. But that can change. Reddit is helping to pay for gas, but Ohanian has also launched a crowdfunding effort on IndieGoGo to help out as well. Check it out, and in 2012, make sure to vote "Open Internet!"
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 39: Technology's Impact On Democracy
- No, Inglewood Cannot Claim Copyright On City Council Meetings And Sue A Critic For Commenting On Them
- Two Important Speeches: The Threats To The Future Of The Internet... And How To Protect An Open Internet
- Larry Lessig Goes Even Bigger: May Run For President On The Single Issue Of Money In Politics
- After The 'Maui Meltdown', TPP Has Missed A Key Deadline That Probably Means It's Doomed Whatever Is Now Agreed