T-Mobile's John Legere Goes Off The Deep End: 'Who The Fuck Are You, EFF?'

from the you're-not-helping dept

I kinda feel bad for the PR people at T-Mobile. This morning, CEO John Legere put out a completely bullshit statement pretending to respond to the accusations that its BingeOn program is throttling online video. It didn't address the actual issues, made statements that were clearly false, and then accused people questioning the program of being "jerks." That seemed weird, considering the widespread concerns about all of this combined with T-Mobile's attempt to brand itself as the only consumer friendly mobile service provider.

But, if you really wanted to undermine the idea that you're a "consumer-first" operation that "cares about the open internet" and had to pick one group that you shouldn't go off on an unhinged rant about, you'd probably pick EFF. The group, which has been around forever, is somewhat famous for its willingness to fight for the public's digital rights, and unwillingness to compromise its beliefs. It has regularly sued or challenged numerous big companies that have undermined privacy and the open internet, including AT&T and Google.

And yet... in responding to a question from EFF online about its BingeOn throttling, Legere decided to go on a weird, nonsensical anti-EFF rant:
After giving a misleading response to the actual question, talking about "selecting the bitrate" (which is throttling not optimization), he then gives a little smile and says:
Part B of my answer is: Who the fuck are you anyway EFF? Why are you stirring up so much trouble and who pays you?
This has immediately resulted in widespread mocking across Twitter, with many people tweeting to Legere that they fund EFF and they care a lot more about EFF than T-Mobile:

There are a lot more where those came from, and they keep pouring in.

I've emailed T-Mobile's PR people to find out if Legere really doesn't know what EFF is, or if he really thinks that EFF is somehow a front group for a company attacking T-Mobile. I doubt I'll hear much of a response. But if Legere wanted to totally undermine his pro-consumer position in a single sentence, I don't think he could have picked a much worse one than what he actually came out with.

1. identicon
    That One Other Not So Random Guy, Jan 7th, 2016 @ 3:12pm

UNLIMITED DATA PLANS FOR AN AFFORDABLE PRICE

Spends hundreds thousands in advertising trying to convince us they are the uncarrier... in one sentence proves they are just another telecom. I love a good ole internet meltdown.
    If the idiots really want to be the uncarrier then give UNLIMITED DATA PLANS FOR AN AFFORDABLE PRICE.
    Hear that Johnny???

2. identicon
    Anonymous Coward, Jan 7th, 2016 @ 3:22pm

Re: UNLIMITED DATA PLANS FOR AN AFFORDABLE PRICE

I was looking at different providers to switch my family too.... Looks like I just eliminated another carrier. You can't pretend to be different and do exactly the same underhanded stuff that made everyone hate ATT and Verizon.

3. identicon
    Anonymous Anonymous Coward, Jan 7th, 2016 @ 3:24pm

See The Show

Well, if your gonna go down in flames you might as well make a show of it.

4. identicon
    Mark Wing, Jan 7th, 2016 @ 3:30pm

There are no consumer friendly mobile phone operators. Just varying levels of greed, hubris and bullshit.

5. identicon
    Anonymous Coward, Jan 7th, 2016 @ 3:40pm

"Who the fuck are you anyway? Why are you stirring up so much trouble and who pays you?"

I bet he gets asked these questions all the time when he shills throughout the web.

6. identicon
    Anonymous Coward, Jan 7th, 2016 @ 3:46pm

Well. Net Neutrality now has its own Michael Richards.

7. icon
    fairuse (profile), Jan 7th, 2016 @ 3:46pm

I am shocked a moron is the face of T-Mobile

I have been with T-Mobile so long I can't recall when I signed up. It has been the best telecom until now. Reckon folks who don't understand the infrastructure can't resist being a bully carpetbagger.

8. icon
    Skridg (profile), Jan 7th, 2016 @ 3:48pm

This dude really has the balls the call out anyone on who is paying them after launching this steaming pile of a "partner program" (see: getting paid to play on his network)?

At this point, anyone who still has a plan with this carrier should be seen as an act of charity.

9. identicon
    Anonymous Coward, Jan 7th, 2016 @ 4:11pm

Who I am

I'm the guy who does his job. You must be the other guy.

10. identicon
    Anonymous Coward, Jan 7th, 2016 @ 4:38pm

You think this is average_joe/antidirt?

11. icon
    MDT (profile), Jan 7th, 2016 @ 4:51pm

Ok, no way I'm getting T-Mobile

You know, over the last few years, I'd thought that T-Mobile might be the carrier to go with if I had to leave my current one.

However, in the last two days, their CEO has managed to convince me that that would be a gigantic mistake.

12. identicon
    Anonymous Coward, Jan 7th, 2016 @ 5:43pm

Helloooooo!!!! They're the Electronic Frontier Foundation!

13. identicon
    LOL, Jan 7th, 2016 @ 7:43pm

lol

This is fantastic. Guy tweets @TMobileHelp telling them that he has a friend who can't connect to Wikipedia. T-Mo tells him to have his friend contact them, so he tweets @JohnLegere letting him know that a T-Mobile CSR will walk him through loading up Wikipedia so he can look up the EFF.

14. icon
    techflaws (profile), Jan 7th, 2016 @ 10:05pm

And here we get to see just another example of the 'Chewbacca Offense' in the wild. Fascinating (albeit sad).

15. icon
    klaus (profile), Jan 8th, 2016 @ 2:05am

Re: UNLIMITED DATA PLANS FOR AN AFFORDABLE PRICE

It's a cardinal internet rule - don't tweet or post when you're in the middle of abusing something. Doubly so for company executives.

John Legere ought to know better. He should also know who the EFF is.

16. identicon
    David, Jan 8th, 2016 @ 2:50am

Who the fuck are you anyway John Legere?

Why are you stirring up so much trouble and who pays you?

And tomorrow?

17. identicon
    Anonymous Howard, Jan 8th, 2016 @ 2:58am

"Who the fuck are you anyway EFF?"

Fuuuuck me! Of all the things a tech company CEO could say...

18. icon
    Ninja (profile), Jan 8th, 2016 @ 5:25am

Re: See The Show

*gets popcorn, sits back*

This is gonna be... flashy.

*nom nom nom nom*

19. identicon
    Anonymous Coward, Jan 8th, 2016 @ 5:25am

Two links:

1 - Turn OFF BingeON

2 - Join the EFF

FWIW, I just did both.

20. identicon
    Coward, Jan 8th, 2016 @ 6:47am

Murder the Telecom Execs

The T-Mobile network sucks ass. I have been with TMO for years because I hate the other 2 I've been on so much that I'm willing to live with the shitty TMO network to spite ATT and VZN. Doesn't hurt that I'm saving money too. John sounds like such a total jackass, that I may have to go back to VNZ. ATT is litterally the worst fucking company ever and I would never give them my money again. VNZ doesn't seem a lot better, but at least their customer service isn't the worst fucking thing ever, like ATT is. If you told me I could murder the president of all 3 companies successfully, I would do it. The death penalty would be worth ridding the world of these fucking shit birds. And, it's the only way we will ever get the telecoms to change. Just listen to that fucking asshole. That guy runs a giant telecom? What kind of world are we living in? The guy is George W Bush level stupid.

21. identicon
    Juan Tejada, Jan 8th, 2016 @ 7:45am

RiP CringeOn

Took him over three day's to tweet back after the eff exposure, let's see how long will take him to fixed "who the fuck are you, and who pays you" mess.... John's bird account is Caliente...!

22. identicon
    Eric L, Jan 8th, 2016 @ 8:08am

Thanks for making my decision easy

About to change carriers after 20+ years enduring Sprint coverage. Strongly considered T-Mobile until today. Verizon now an easier decision, thanks @John Legere!

23. icon
    Carl (profile), Jan 8th, 2016 @ 8:11am

Who the fuck are YOU, John Legere?

I just joined the EFF at the $100 Gold level. Now I pay the EFF, and will be dropping T-Mobile very soon.

"Your gift is fully tax deductible as allowed by law, less the fair market value of any substantial gifts received. See below. EFF is a 501(c)(3) organization, and our federal tax ID number is 04-3091431. EFF respects the confidentiality of its supporters and we do not share, swap, or sell our lists of donors at any time. Donation Information Amount $100.00 Date January 8, 2016, 8:07 am"

24. identicon
    PRMan, Jan 8th, 2016 @ 10:15am

Re: Re: UNLIMITED DATA PLANS FOR AN AFFORDABLE PRICE

If you don't know who the EFF is, you might want to look that up before going on a hateful rant.

I am also an EFF supporter AND a T-Mobile customer.

I feel like I have been affected by BingeOn and I don't have anywhere to turn it off on my account.

25. identicon
    PRMan, Jan 8th, 2016 @ 10:15am

Maybe the smaller ones.

26. identicon
    PRMan, Jan 8th, 2016 @ 10:17am

Re: lol

Wow. What a massive burn.

Hilarious.

27. icon
    Chronno S. Trigger (profile), Jan 8th, 2016 @ 10:18am

Not all that long ago my mom offered to get me a cell phone on her family plan. She would pay, I'd never have to worry about it. I said I'd rather stick with T-Mobile than go to Verizon. Think about that, I currently pay $80 a month and chose to keep that rather than getting a free Verizon phone.

Now I'm rethinking the offer.

But my big question is this. If I'm paying $80 a month just so I don't have to worry about the data caps (I spent half an hour on the phone with them making damn sure of that), why the hell did I just have to turn off Binge On? I refused their $35 "unlimited" plan specifically so I don't have to worry about "network optimization."

28. identicon
    PRMan, Jan 8th, 2016 @ 10:19am

2016 Tone Deaf Hall of Fame

John Legere has a huge lead already, and it's only January 8th!

29. icon
    nasch (profile), Jan 8th, 2016 @ 5:32pm

Re: Murder the Telecom Execs

Some other person would just take over and start doing the same stupid stuff. The problem is not Legere, he's just a symptom.

30. icon
    nasch (profile), Jan 8th, 2016 @ 5:34pm

Response

He later said he knows who EFF is, which makes his earlier tweet perhaps even more baffling.

And that last one is a gem - innovation can be controversial? Still missing the point!

31. identicon
    daveh, Jan 8th, 2016 @ 7:25pm

Put It Back In Your Pants, You're Not Impressing

This is an egocentric post to the nth degree. You're not anywhere as important and special as you think you are. Legere has been speaking without a filter and tossing around f-bombs for years. It's who and what the douchebag is, and it's exactly that kind of brash and crude persona that's made him so successful. Few executives can get away with public gutter language, he can. Usually.

Sure, he's a lying a-hole, just like 100% of American upper management is. But you really need to check your ego at the door, he communicates that way with everyone, not just you.

32. icon
    nasch (profile), Jan 8th, 2016 @ 7:34pm

Re: Put It Back In Your Pants, You're Not Impressing

Did we read the same post? I thought this article was all about John Legere, whereas you seem to think it's about Mike Masnick. Which comments do you think demonstrate the author's belief in his importance and specialness? These are the only places he mentions himself:

"I kinda feel bad for the PR people at T-Mobile."

And:

"I've emailed T-Mobile's PR people to find out if Legere really doesn't know what EFF is, or if he really thinks that EFF is somehow a front group for a company attacking T-Mobile. I doubt I'll hear much of a response."

So... what are you on about?

33. identicon
    Anonymous Coward, Jan 9th, 2016 @ 8:10am

Re: Put It Back In Your Pants, You're Not Impressing

Mike's middle name is "EFF"?

34. icon
    AR Libertarian (profile), Jan 9th, 2016 @ 1:48pm

Re: Re: UNLIMITED DATA PLANS FOR AN AFFORDABLE PRICE

Admittedly, I don't use a lot of data, but you might want to look at Ting. I have 4 smart phones on the account, and my total bill will be $59 this month. Total. All 4 phones.

It's not for everyone. You have to have a bit of tech savvy since they don't have brick and mortar stores. Tech support is a phone call, you can't walk in. You buy your own phone, no 2 year contract to make up the difference.

BUT, I mentioned my bill this month is $59???

They piggy back on two networks (Sprint/T-Mobile), buying in bulk and passing the savings on to their customers. Started by Two Cows. Remember them?

Anyway, check it out. They are majorly tech friendly. Not douche bags at all.

35. icon
    nasch (profile), Jan 9th, 2016 @ 3:28pm

Re: Re: Re: UNLIMITED DATA PLANS FOR AN AFFORDABLE PRICE

They piggy back on two networks (Sprint/T-Mobile),

I was all set to check them out... but neither of those has coverage where I live. :-(

36. identicon
    Anonymous Coward, Jan 10th, 2016 @ 11:08am

Donating to EFF.

37. identicon
    Anonymous Coward, Jan 10th, 2016 @ 6:59pm

John Legere Goes Off The Deep End, indeed.

38. identicon
    Anonymous Coward, Jan 11th, 2016 @ 5:00pm

Re: Put It Back In Your Pants, You're Not Impressing

It's pretty telling what kind of a person you are when between a "lying a-hole" and the person criticizing the lying a-hole, you choose to defend the lying a-hole.

39. identicon
    Anonymous Coward, Aug 10th, 2016 @ 8:37pm

Legre is using the same bait and switch technique that ATT, Tracfone and others got fined from the FCC for doing. Another new Telecom will pop up again offering UNLIMITED data and then go down in flames when they try to redifine UNLIMITED. It must be a profitable business plan.