Business Models

by Leigh Beadon

Filed Under:
business models, community, podcast

Companies:
reddit

Techdirt Podcast Episode 33: Reddit And The Challenges Of Building A Business Out Of A Community

from the downvote-of-confidence dept

Reddit is a prime example of the explosive growth of online communities — and recently it's become a prime test case for the huge challenges such growth brings, especially for those who are trying to use it as the foundation for a successful company. This week we discuss some of those challenges that sit at the intersection of community and business, both in terms of popular examples like Reddit and personal experiences as both members and builders of online communities.

Follow the Techdirt Podcast on Soundcloud, subscribe via iTunes, or grab the RSS feed. You can also keep up with all the latest episodes right here on Techdirt.

Reader Comments

The First Word

View by: Time | Thread

• identicon
    Anonymous Coward, 14 Jul 2015 @ 1:26pm

Eventual Outcome...

For every site that tries to control speech.

I used to hang around the religion subreddits, but I was constantly told my religious views were unwelcome there. At the end of the day it was only proof that the community is like every other community. Freedom and Liberty for me, but not for thee. At least here a Techdirt people can still get a word out without being banned left and right, even if their thoughts and ideas are stupid.

At reddit you are not even allowed to disagree with the hive mind without enraging the nutters and possible being banned or shadowbanned. Reddit will eventually piss everyone off so its demise will be assured by its own hand.

The moment you decide that someone cannot say something because you think it is offensive is the moment you have become nothing more than a whiny bigoted hypocrite.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• This comment has been flagged by the community. Click here to show it
    Anonymous Coward, 14 Jul 2015 @ 2:20pm

@ "At least here a Techdirt people can still get a word out" -- Oh, really, AC?

Or is that you just don't see those, especially my, posts anymore? Seems to be okaying every comment now. -- If you don't see this and don't have to modify your notions, let me know, okay?

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• This comment has been flagged by the community. Click here to show it
    Anonymous Coward, 14 Jul 2015 @ 2:21pm

Third time charm! Yet can never get in on the big ones.

Yes, I am being censored. How ironic for this article.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• identicon
      Anonymous Coward, 15 Jul 2015 @ 8:59am

You're not being censored, the community is telling you they don't care about your opinion. You're still free to share and I'm still free to click a button to read it.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• identicon
    Anonymous Coward, 14 Jul 2015 @ 2:35pm

Waiting for TD coverage

to cover the Paogate 2.0, which is a bit of an unfair characterization to blame her for the fiasco related to the Victoria firing. This is going to be the first podcast I listen to after the first one. Thanks for discussing it.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• icon
    ChurchHatesTucker (profile), 14 Jul 2015 @ 3:04pm

Eternal September

Is the phrase you were looking for.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• icon
    RonKaminsky (profile), 12 Nov 2016 @ 10:01am

EOotTE

"Evil Overlords of the Techdirt Empire" (36:16)- just priceless.

That made my day (the rest of the podcast was interesting, also, I'm not belittling it) --- enough so, that I'm commenting here despite my embarrassment that I only just now have gotten to listening to this one...

Keep up the great work.