by Mike Masnick
Fri, May 23rd 2014 3:41am
We already wrote about how the fake USA Freedom Act passed the House of Representatives, with many of the "no" votes coming from the Representatives who are most vocal about wanting to reform the NSA. As we noted, this shows just how much the bill changed from reforming the NSA to locking in the status quo. But here's an even bigger indication of what a joke the bill became 76 of the 152 co-sponsors of the bill voted against it. In other words, half of the people whose names are on the bill as co-sponsoring it, felt the bill was so unlike the one they sponsored that they voted against it entirely. For all the talk from supporters of this bill about how it showed how Congress can "come together" and agree to "reform the NSA," the reality is quite the opposite. It shows how a few powerful folks in the government can undermine real attempts at reform that had tremendous and widespread support.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Did You Hear About How ISIS Has A Sophisticated Training Manual For Encryption? Yeah, It Was Actually A Pamphlet For Journalists And Activists
- A Month Ago, Dianne Feinstein Said Cybersecurity Was Super Important... Now She Says We Should Undermine Encryption
- Judge Kavanaugh, Dragnet Fan From Way Back, Shoots Down Section 215 Rehearing With Extraneous Surveillance Boosterism
- Telegraph Publishes The Dumbest Article On Encryption You'll Ever Read... Written By David Cameron's Former Speechwriter
- Documents: The Domestic Email Collection Program The NSA 'Killed' In 2011 Was Actually Just Offshored