by Mike Masnick
Fri, Jul 26th 2013 6:28am
Even as many in Congress seem to recognize just how useful it was for Ed Snowden to reveal how the NSA was misinterpreting the law to collect data on nearly everyone, some still seem to want to go overboard in trying to blame him for telling the truth. The latest is that the Senate Appropriations Committee has supported a plan to instruct Secretary of State John Kerry to work with Congress in issuing sanctions against any country that grants Snowden asylum. Remember now, that this is the very same US Congress that flat out passed a law to give a Swiss bank security guard (and his entire family) asylum after he did almost the exact same thing as Snowden. In that case, some of the very same Senators who are now lining up against Snowden went on and on about how brave and heroic Michel Meili was. And, yet, now they're willing to start an entire trade war because some other country is willing to grant him asylum and protect Snowden against crazy attacks by grandstanding officials? How is that possibly a sane reaction?
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Welcome To The New League Of Leakers -- Courtesy Of Edward Snowden
- Wall Street Journal Suggests Snowden Gave China Its 'Great Cannon' Software... Based On Pure Random Speculation
- Senate Intelligence Committee Finally Decides That Maybe It Should Figure Out What The Intelligence Community Is Up To
- DEA Phone Tracking Program Would Have Continued If Not For Snowden
- John Oliver Takes On Government Surveillance With Help From Ed Snowden And... Some Dick Pics