by Mike Masnick
Mon, Jul 15th 2013 8:08pm
Joe Mullin has the details of the latest in a long line of setbacks for John Steele and Prenda Law, in which the Ninth Circuit appeals court has rejected Team Prenda's attempt to reduce the bond amount that they need to put up, consolidated the various appeals, and set a briefing schedule for later this year. The ruling is short and sweet and basically is an indication that the appeals court isn't interested in Prenda's usual game of trying anything and everything to create a distraction. But, what caught my attention, and which I hadn't realized before, is that it appears that the three judge panel handling the appeal is headed up by Judge Alex Kozinski (see update below) -- perhaps one of the most well known and entertaining judges on the bench today. We've written about Kozinski many times before -- and while I don't always agree with Kozinski (to be fair: I very often do agree with him), he is almost certainly the most entertaining, both when speaking live and in his rulings. And, equally as important, he's one judge who really does seem to make sure he really understands what's going on, beyond the superficial level that we've seen elsewhere. Given that, the Kozinski-fanboy in me is already anticipating the turns of phrase that Kozinski will spin in any eventual ruling involving Prenda... District court judge Otis Wright's original ruling against Team Prenda was impressive, as many folks have acknowledged, but there's an opportunity here for Judge Kozinski to produce a sequel that will be a delight. Update: Bah, procedural error on my part. This is the motions panel, not the merits panel, meaning that we don't yet know which three judge panel will handle the actual case. Let's just hope that Kozinski is on it, though...
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Ninth Circuit Appeals Court Decision On Fair Use And Right Of First Sale Fails To Budge The Needle On Either Issue
- After Even His Own Lawyer Admits Prenda's Paul Hansmeier Is A 'Bad Actor,' Bankruptcy Court Liquidates His Assets
- DOJ Pretty Sure The Problem With The Criminal Justice System Is Everyone Else
- Next Shoe Drops For Prenda's Paul Hansmeier: Minnesota Law Board Seeks To Disbar Him
- Illinois Attorney Discipline Board Finally Moves Against Prenda Mastermind John Steele