The Most Popular Posts Of 2013 So Far
from the checking-in... dept
Since this week is a "short week" and many people are on vacation anyway, we decided not to ask anyone to do their "favorite posts of the week." Conveniently, this is also the first weekend after the halfway point of 2013, so I thought it might be fun to see which stories from the first half of the year generated the most traffic.
- Redditor Points Out The Flaws In SimCity's Online-Only DRM, Gets Banned By EA For His Troubles: This post got a ton of attention, and resulted in EA claiming that it was all a "glitch" in the system, though not everyone believed that to be the case. EA seems to have a way of doing things that tends to just make everything worse.
- Oh Look, Rep. Mike Rogers Wife Stands To Benefit Greatly From CISPA Passing...: This was a big story for a key reason: Rogers has been adamant about getting CISPA passed, but this conflict of interest had been previously undisclosed.
- If Your Cable Company Were Honest, This Is What Its Commercial Would Look Like: Note: people do not like their cable companies. They hate them almost as much as they hate EA.
- NSA Whistleblower Ed Snowden: From My Desk I Could Wiretap Anyone: You, A Federal Judge Or The President Of The US: You knew at least one NSA surveillance post had to be in this list. This one is still controversial. Some people insist that Snowden was exaggerating or lying, but other released documents suggest that there's support for what he's claiming.
- White House Makes It Impossible For The Blind To Sign Petition Supporting Copyright Treaty For The Blind: A bit of a technological faux pas on the part of the White House. Of course, now that the treaty has been signed, we'll see if the US will actually ratify it.
- FBI Admits That Obeying The Constitution Just Takes Too Much Time: As we just had the "Restore the 4th" effort, this one seems appropriate to be on the list.
- PETA Goes After Assassin's Creed For Its Depiction Of Whaling; Ubisoft Responds With A Heaping Dose Of Sarcasm: Hey look, an article about a big video gaming company, where they're not the ones doing something crazy. Don't get that very often.
- NSA: If Your Data Is Encrypted, You Might Be Evil, So We'll Keep It Until We're Sure: Yes, the NSA is collecting your data and assuming the worst.
- Don't Let Patents Kill 3D Printing: Hopefully speaks for itself.
- Cable Industry Finally Admits That Data Caps Have Nothing To Do With Congestion: What did I say earlier about people hating their cable companies? Yeah, that.