ICANN Boss: We're Not Ready To Launch These Half-Baked New gTLDs, So Let's Launch Them
from the this-is-going-to-be-a-disaster dept
However, now it's looking like it isn't just the idea that's a disaster, but the execution as well. Domain Incite's Kevin Murphy reports that ICANN's own CEO (who only joined recently), Fadi Chehade, has flat out admitted that they're nowhere close to ready, but things are going to launch anyway. David Mitnick has pulled out some of the key quotes that should be fairly scary, considering they're coming from ICANN's own CEO:
1. "Honestly, if it was up to me, I would delay the whole release of new gTLDs by at least a year."In other words, this is likely to be a complete and total disaster.
2. "... a lot of the foundations that I would be comfortable with, as someone who has built businesses before, are just not yet there."
3. "We have people who took six years to write the [new gTLD Applicant] Guidebook and we're asking engineers and software people and third-party vendors and hundreds of people to get that whole program running in six months."
4. "When the number two at IBM called me, Erich Clementi, after we signed the deal with them to do the [Trademark Clearinghouse] he said 'Are you nuts?'. Literally, quote. He said: 'Fadi you've built these systems for us before. You know it takes three times the amount of time it takes to write the specs to build reliable systems.'"
5. "We're facing a difficult situation, we're working hard as we can, our people are at the edge."
6. "I don't mean to scare you, because I know many of your businesses rely on this, but the right people are now in place, we're building it as fast as we can but I want you to understand that this is tough, and I wish it were different. I wish you would all raise your hands and say: 'You know what? Let's take a break and meet in a year'."
7. "I don't want to delay this program, but under all circumstances my mind would tell me: stop."