by Mike Masnick
Tue, Dec 11th 2012 3:52pm
The latest research by law professor Colleen Chien is getting lots of much-needed press coverage, in that it reveals we've passed the tipping point with patent trolls, as more than half of all patent lawsuits were brought by trolls. In fact, her new report reveals that 61% of all patent lawsuits filed in the first 11 months of 2012... were from patent trolls. That's an astoundingly large number -- and one that is growing fast. The same report notes that just last year the number was 45% and five years ago it was just 23%. When does the government wake up and realize we have a serious problem on our hands?
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 119: Does Pharma Really Need Patents?
- For World 'Intellectual Property' Day, A Reading From Thomas Macaulay
- Paul Hansmeier Argues Convicting Him Of Fraud Would Seriously Damage The Judicial System
- EFF Goes To Court To Stop Australian Patent Troll From Stifling Free Speech
- India Learns The Hard Way That Equating Patents And Innovation Comes At A Price