by Mike Masnick
Thu, Mar 22nd 2012 12:14am
We've noted in the past the similarities between mass IP infringement trolling lawsuits and shakedown scams -- and have even seen some out-and-out scammers mimic the techniques of copyright trolls. Torrentfreak now reports that some scammers are specifically targeting Megaupload users, pretending to be lawyers demanding payment for infringements on Megaupload. While these are pure scams, given the MPAA's own statements about possibly suing Megaupload users, combined with the success rate that copyright trolls often have in getting some people to just pay up, it seems likely that a fair number of recipients of such a scam letter are actually falling for it.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Plaintiff Awarded Damages In Default Judgment Against Censorious Dentist Who Billed Him $110,000 For His Negative Review
- Florida Legislators Introduce Bill That Would Strip Certain Site Owners Of Their Anonymity
- Connecticut Town Takes Down Painting Including Image Of Mother Teresa Over Bogus Copyright Claim
- US Court Rules That Kim Dotcom Is A 'Fugitive' And Thus DOJ Can Take His Money
- Paypal Cuts Off Mega Because It Actually Keeps Your Files Secret