by Mike Masnick
Fri, Jan 20th 2012 8:34am
The writing has been on the wall for a long, long time, but now it's finally official. Harry Reid has announced that he will not move forward with PIPA and Lamar Smith has announced the same thing about SOPA. Both are listed as "delayed" and there's always a chance that they will come back in some form (potentially even nastier), but hopefully those on Capitol Hill have learned a big lesson about trying to mess with the internet... and what happens when you cut backroom deals to help one industry at the expense of the public.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Utterly Tone Deaf To Cord Cutting, Cable Contract Feuds And Blackouts Skyrocket
- Putin's Adviser Says Russia Must Be Ready To Disconnect Itself From The Global Internet
- EU's Departing Internet Commissioner Leaves Behind Copyright Plan That Will Outlaw Basic Internet Functions
- I Thought Piracy Was Killing Entertainment? New Record In Scripted Shows In 2016
- You Have To Distort The Facts Pretty Badly To Argue That Google & Facebook Are Worse For Consumers Than AT&T