by Mike Masnick
Fri, Jan 20th 2012 8:34am
The writing has been on the wall for a long, long time, but now it's finally official. Harry Reid has announced that he will not move forward with PIPA and Lamar Smith has announced the same thing about SOPA. Both are listed as "delayed" and there's always a chance that they will come back in some form (potentially even nastier), but hopefully those on Capitol Hill have learned a big lesson about trying to mess with the internet... and what happens when you cut backroom deals to help one industry at the expense of the public.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Cable's Latest Great Idea: Speed Up Programs So They Can Stuff More Ads Into Every Hour
- Millions Of Users Unaware That Facebook Is On The Internet -- Or Think It *Is* The Internet
- French Government Declares Independence From Free Speech: Broad Internet Take-Down Powers Now In Place
- Stop Saying That The FCC Is 'Treating Internet As A Utility' -- It's Not
- Can Some Internet Memes Finally Get Congress To Pass New Legislation To Protect Your Privacy Online?