by Mike Masnick
Fri, Jan 20th 2012 8:34am
The writing has been on the wall for a long, long time, but now it's finally official. Harry Reid has announced that he will not move forward with PIPA and Lamar Smith has announced the same thing about SOPA. Both are listed as "delayed" and there's always a chance that they will come back in some form (potentially even nastier), but hopefully those on Capitol Hill have learned a big lesson about trying to mess with the internet... and what happens when you cut backroom deals to help one industry at the expense of the public.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Rep. Goodlatte Promises 'Consensus' Copyright Reform Proposals Soon
- Internet Protections Enshrined In Brazil's Marco Civil Framework Under Threat From New Laws
- Optometrists Push For State Laws Blocking Online Eye Exams
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 70: Is It Futile To Draw Borders On The Internet?
- DailyDirt: Thanks For The Free Energy, Sun