by Mike Masnick
Fri, Jan 20th 2012 8:34am
The writing has been on the wall for a long, long time, but now it's finally official. Harry Reid has announced that he will not move forward with PIPA and Lamar Smith has announced the same thing about SOPA. Both are listed as "delayed" and there's always a chance that they will come back in some form (potentially even nastier), but hopefully those on Capitol Hill have learned a big lesson about trying to mess with the internet... and what happens when you cut backroom deals to help one industry at the expense of the public.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- EU Commission Releases Plans To More Directly Regulate Internet, Pretending It's Not Regulating The Internet
- Google To France: No You Don't Get To Censor The Global Internet
- Once Again With Feeling: Cord Cutting Is Not A 'Myth'
- Malaysian Government Pushes For Broad Internet Censorship Bill Following Internet Reporting On Gov't Corruption
- Subtle: Iraq Flips The Internet Switch For 3 Hours To Combat Cheating Students And Corrupted Teachers