by Mike Masnick
Fri, Jan 20th 2012 8:34am
The writing has been on the wall for a long, long time, but now it's finally official. Harry Reid has announced that he will not move forward with PIPA and Lamar Smith has announced the same thing about SOPA. Both are listed as "delayed" and there's always a chance that they will come back in some form (potentially even nastier), but hopefully those on Capitol Hill have learned a big lesson about trying to mess with the internet... and what happens when you cut backroom deals to help one industry at the expense of the public.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Senate Comes To Its Senses: Does NOT Support Ted Cruz's Plan To Block Internet Governance Transition
- Not Content With Silencing Human Critics, Russia Has Now Arrested A Robot
- Italy Proposes Law To Make Mocking People Online Illegal
- How Pirates Shaped The Internet As We Know It
- If Someone Is Testing Ways To Take Down The Internet, Perhaps It's Time To Build A Stronger Internet