by Mike Masnick
Fri, Jan 20th 2012 8:34am
The writing has been on the wall for a long, long time, but now it's finally official. Harry Reid has announced that he will not move forward with PIPA and Lamar Smith has announced the same thing about SOPA. Both are listed as "delayed" and there's always a chance that they will come back in some form (potentially even nastier), but hopefully those on Capitol Hill have learned a big lesson about trying to mess with the internet... and what happens when you cut backroom deals to help one industry at the expense of the public.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Documents: The Domestic Email Collection Program The NSA 'Killed' In 2011 Was Actually Just Offshored
- France Responds To Paris Attacks By Rushing Through Internet Censorship Law
- Sorry, MPAA, Court Rejects Your Plan For A Secret SOPA At The ITC
- Germany Wants To Define A Snippet As Seven Words Or Less; Doing So Is Likely To Breach Berne Convention
- Think Tank Who Proposed SOPA Now Argues That US Should Encourage Countries To Censor The Pirate Bay