by Mike Masnick
Tue, Dec 20th 2011 11:25am
Well, look at that. There's been a lot of back and forth over the past few days concerning whether or not Lamar Smith was serious about holding the continuation of the SOPA markup tomorrow morning. Many people believed he was bluffing just to piss off the anti-SOPA folks... and it appears that his bluff has been called. Smith has just announced that the continuation of the markup has been "postponed due to House schedule." In other words, see everyone next year on this... Either way, just saying that the markup was going to continue tomorrow was a pretty cheap political trick designed to piss off lots of people... and to avoid Smith's own promise that he'd actually take time to hear from technology experts on the subject of online security. Update: And just to continue the joke, we're now hearing rumors that they might try to schedule it... for next week. I can't believe that Smith would be so politically crass, but it's not out of the realm of possibility, if Congress actually is in session next week to argue about other stuff that actually matters. Update 2: And now a Smith staffer says nothing scheduled for the rest of the year...
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Malibu Media Sues Its Former Lawyer Over Missing Funds, Breach Of Bar Rules
- Hillary Clinton's Intellectual Property Platform: Too Vague & Confusing
- Two Judges Punch Holes In Copyright Trolls' Claims That An IP Address Is The Same Thing As A Person
- This Song Belongs To You And Me: Lawsuit Filed To Declare Woodie Guthrie's Classic In The Public Domain
- Another Dumb Idea Out Of The EU: Giving Robots & Computers Copyright