by Mike Masnick
Tue, Dec 20th 2011 11:25am
Well, look at that. There's been a lot of back and forth over the past few days concerning whether or not Lamar Smith was serious about holding the continuation of the SOPA markup tomorrow morning. Many people believed he was bluffing just to piss off the anti-SOPA folks... and it appears that his bluff has been called. Smith has just announced that the continuation of the markup has been "postponed due to House schedule." In other words, see everyone next year on this... Either way, just saying that the markup was going to continue tomorrow was a pretty cheap political trick designed to piss off lots of people... and to avoid Smith's own promise that he'd actually take time to hear from technology experts on the subject of online security. Update: And just to continue the joke, we're now hearing rumors that they might try to schedule it... for next week. I can't believe that Smith would be so politically crass, but it's not out of the realm of possibility, if Congress actually is in session next week to argue about other stuff that actually matters. Update 2: And now a Smith staffer says nothing scheduled for the rest of the year...
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Congress Leaks Draft Bill To Move Copyright Office Out Of The Library Of Congress
- Supreme Court Says You Can Copyright Elements Of 'Useful Articles' -- Which May Spell Disaster For 3D Printing & More
- Supreme Court Says Patent Trolls Can Wait A While Before Suing
- Industry-Hated Game Emulators Save Two Video Games For Posterity
- Australia's Prime Minister Supports Expanded Safe Harbor Protections Down Under