by Mike Masnick
Fri, Aug 5th 2011 4:28pm
Lots of people got a kick out of the "rent is too damn high" guy, Jimmy McMillan, running for governor of New York last year. He certainly was entertaining. However, it appears that McMillan's own rent may be too damn low... meaning that he's a part of the damn reason that the rent is too damn high in New York. It turns out that McMillan's landlords are trying to evict him from his rent controlled East Village apartment for which he pays $872.96 a month. That's crazy cheap for an apartment in the East Village. What he doesn't seem to recognize is that when the laws keep the rent on certain properties artificially low compared to the market, that's a huge part of the reason why "the rent is too damn high" for everyone else. If McMillan really wanted to lower the rent, he'd work to get rid of widespread rent control, as that would help drive down the prices of rent in certain areas.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 27: The Rise Of The On-Demand Economy
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 16: Rethinking Work, Income & Leisure: Albert Wenger On Basic Income
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 6: Should Kids Be Forced To Learn Coding? Or Economics? Or Stats?
- The Nasty Patent Games Drug Companies Play To Stop You From Getting Cheaper Drugs
- Ride Sharing Services Lead Taxi Medallion Values To Plummet (And That's A Good Thing)