by Mike Masnick
Fri, Aug 5th 2011 4:28pm
Lots of people got a kick out of the "rent is too damn high" guy, Jimmy McMillan, running for governor of New York last year. He certainly was entertaining. However, it appears that McMillan's own rent may be too damn low... meaning that he's a part of the damn reason that the rent is too damn high in New York. It turns out that McMillan's landlords are trying to evict him from his rent controlled East Village apartment for which he pays $872.96 a month. That's crazy cheap for an apartment in the East Village. What he doesn't seem to recognize is that when the laws keep the rent on certain properties artificially low compared to the market, that's a huge part of the reason why "the rent is too damn high" for everyone else. If McMillan really wanted to lower the rent, he'd work to get rid of widespread rent control, as that would help drive down the prices of rent in certain areas.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- It's Official: US International Trade Commission Predicts Negligible Economic Benefits From TPP
- Australia's Arrogant, Irresponsible Trade Minister Rejects Calls For Cost-Benefit Analysis Of TPP
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 59: Does The Internet Create More 'Winner Take All' Companies?
- World Bank Report: TPP Will Bring Negligible Economic Benefit To US, Canada And Australia
- CEO Of Mobile Company Blames Everyone For Wanting Coffee Rather Than His Game