by Mike Masnick
Tue, Aug 2nd 2011 10:04pm
The Pirate Party in the Czech Republic is trying to show that linking is not a crime by putting up sites that merely link to some infringing material. The party is doing this to support a high school student facing massive fines for linking to some works covered by copyright. I do wonder, however, if this will backfire. Law enforcement, industry folks and politicians who simply don't understand the technology will not realize the point of such a site, and merely assume that it's yet another "piracy" site. I would think a more effective means of doing this would be to merely iframe the results of a Google search...
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Florida Governor Signs One Bill Protecting Free Speech... And Another That Undermines It
- Sony Uses Copyright To Force Verge To Takedown Its Copy Of Sony's Spotify Contract
- Godzilla Sues The Godzilla Of Copyright Trolls, Voltage Pictures, For Copyright Infringement
- Faith Healer Adam Miller Drops His Lawsuit (For Now) After Being Widely Mocked Online
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 25: EFF's Parker Higgins On Correcting Copyright Misconceptions