by Mike Masnick
Tue, Aug 2nd 2011 10:04pm
The Pirate Party in the Czech Republic is trying to show that linking is not a crime by putting up sites that merely link to some infringing material. The party is doing this to support a high school student facing massive fines for linking to some works covered by copyright. I do wonder, however, if this will backfire. Law enforcement, industry folks and politicians who simply don't understand the technology will not realize the point of such a site, and merely assume that it's yet another "piracy" site. I would think a more effective means of doing this would be to merely iframe the results of a Google search...
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- How The US Government Legally Stole Millions From Kim Dotcom
- Copyright Bots Kill App Over 'Potentially Infringing' Images, Follow This Up By Blocking App For Use Of CC/Public Domain Images
- Bad Copyright Laws Scaring Off Necessary Investment In New Digital Platforms
- Copyright Troll Perfect 10 Ordered To Pay $5.6 Million Over Bogus Lawsuit
- US Pressured Japan, Canada, New Zealand And Others Into Extending Copyright