by Mike Masnick
Tue, Aug 2nd 2011 10:04pm
The Pirate Party in the Czech Republic is trying to show that linking is not a crime by putting up sites that merely link to some infringing material. The party is doing this to support a high school student facing massive fines for linking to some works covered by copyright. I do wonder, however, if this will backfire. Law enforcement, industry folks and politicians who simply don't understand the technology will not realize the point of such a site, and merely assume that it's yet another "piracy" site. I would think a more effective means of doing this would be to merely iframe the results of a Google search...
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- The DMCA Should Not Be An All Purpose Tool For Taking Down Content; And It's Espeically Bad For Harassment
- Star Trek Fan Film Axanar Lawyers Tell Court About JJ Abrams Claims Of Paramount Dropping Suit, Express Confusion
- YouTube Personality Files Bogus Copyright Infringement Lawsuit To Shut Up Two Critics
- Big Win For Fair Use: Jury Says Google's Use Of Java API's Was Fair Use... On To The Appeal
- Bankruptcy Fight May Be The Least Of Team Prenda's Concerns, As The FBI Comes Knocking