by Mike Masnick
Thu, Jul 21st 2011 8:47am
It's not entirely clear what's going on here, but someone anonymous has pointed us to a post on a blog that was supposedly posting "ridiculous pictures of Celine Dion" (that's the name of the blog) that says the site got a legal nastygram from Dion's lawyers, claiming infringement. They don't provide details of what they think about the site is infringing (copyright? publicity rights?), so it's tough to analyze the specific legal issues, though I can't see how they have much of a legitimate case. Either way, whoever runs the site has agreed to take it down, because the cost of defending it is too high. Of course, that's what Celine Dion's lawyers were hoping for anyway. So the blog is gone, though it did leave this one image as the avatar of the user who put together the site:
In the meantime, how thin skinned and vain a celebrity must you be to shut down a blog showing funny pictures of you? The person who ran the blog notes that it was "superfans" who were using the site, and now they're all shut out of having some fun around a celebrity they like because she's got aggressive lawyers. Sad.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Inglewood Told To Pay $118k Of Taxpayer Money For Abusing Copyright Law To Silence A Critic
- Colorado Judge Ignores First Amendment, Allows Prior Restraint In Banning Aretha Franklin Film
- Twitter Suspends Accounts For 'Infringement' Despite Not Linking To Any Infringing Works
- Facebook Announces Its ContentID Attempt... Using Audible Magic
- Windows 10 Reserves The Right To Block Pirated Games And 'Unauthorized' Hardware