by Mike Masnick
Mon, Jun 20th 2011 3:44pm
Well, well. It appears that BitTorrent Inc. is now being sued for patent infringement over a patent (7,301,944) for "Media file distribution with adaptive transmission protocols." Except, it's hard to see how BitTorrent's offering has "adaptive transmission protocols." In fact, looking at the patent, it's difficult to see what it has to do with BitTorrent at all. The patent requires a database for storing files, but BitTorrent is the transmission system, not a database. Either way, this seems like (yet another) patent trolling attempt by a company, Tranz-Send Broadcasting Network, that doesn't appear to actually do anything. To paraphrase the movie The Social Network, if it had invented BitTorrent, it would have invented BitTorrent. Pretty sad that it's now trying to sue instead.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Stupid Patent Of The Month: Infamous Prison Telco Patents Asking Third-Parties For Money
- Chinese Company Learns From The West: Builds Up Big Patent Portfolio, Uses It To Sue Apple In China
- The Ridiculous Rush To Try To Patent Pot
- Full Text Of TPP Released: And It's Really, Really Bad
- Will Molecular Biology's Most Important Discovery In Years Be Ruined By Patents?