by Mike Masnick
Mon, Jun 20th 2011 3:44pm
Well, well. It appears that BitTorrent Inc. is now being sued for patent infringement over a patent (7,301,944) for "Media file distribution with adaptive transmission protocols." Except, it's hard to see how BitTorrent's offering has "adaptive transmission protocols." In fact, looking at the patent, it's difficult to see what it has to do with BitTorrent at all. The patent requires a database for storing files, but BitTorrent is the transmission system, not a database. Either way, this seems like (yet another) patent trolling attempt by a company, Tranz-Send Broadcasting Network, that doesn't appear to actually do anything. To paraphrase the movie The Social Network, if it had invented BitTorrent, it would have invented BitTorrent. Pretty sad that it's now trying to sue instead.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Subway, McDonald's And Burger King Sued Over GPS Tracking Patent... Or Something
- Does Patent Licensing by Patent Trolls - Or Anyone - Serve A Useful Purpose?
- Jury Sympathetic To Life360's CEO Sending 'Dear Piece Of Shit' Letter To Patent Troll; Says Patents Not Infringed
- Patent Not Sufficiently Broad Or Generic? Cloem Will Help You By Automatically Generating Dozens Of Nearly Identical Patents
- Stop The Presses: Disney Tells Court About The Importance Of The Public Domain