by Mike Masnick
Mon, Jun 20th 2011 3:44pm
Well, well. It appears that BitTorrent Inc. is now being sued for patent infringement over a patent (7,301,944) for "Media file distribution with adaptive transmission protocols." Except, it's hard to see how BitTorrent's offering has "adaptive transmission protocols." In fact, looking at the patent, it's difficult to see what it has to do with BitTorrent at all. The patent requires a database for storing files, but BitTorrent is the transmission system, not a database. Either way, this seems like (yet another) patent trolling attempt by a company, Tranz-Send Broadcasting Network, that doesn't appear to actually do anything. To paraphrase the movie The Social Network, if it had invented BitTorrent, it would have invented BitTorrent. Pretty sad that it's now trying to sue instead.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 20: How The Patent System Is Broken
- EFF Helps Bust Bogus Patent That Was Being Used To Shake Down Podcasters
- Copyrights & Patents Have Become A Religion; All Data Will Be Ignored
- US Patent Office Gamed The System To Make Sure Patent 9 Million Wasn't A Crazy Troll Patent
- USPTO Demands EFF Censor Its Comments On Patentable Subject Matter