by Mike Masnick
Tue, Jun 21st 2011 1:07am
Back in the days of J. Edgar Hoover running the FBI and Senator Joseph McCarthy accusing all sorts of people of various "un-American" activities, you ran the risk of being accused of all sorts of things just for disagreeing with the government. It seemed like those days were over, and I'd love to believe those days really are over, but Pickle Monger points us to the unfortunate news that the FBI has been raiding homes of various political activists, claiming that it's part of a terrorism investigation. Many of the targets of the raids seem like unlikely "terrorists," as they include peace/anti-war activists and union organizers. Whatever you think of their politics, we should certainly be worried when there's any sense that political viewpoints are getting wrapped up in any claims of a "terrorism" investigation. It seems like it's so easy to abuse that word to go after anyone who law enforcement doesn't like. You would hope that America would have learned from its past to avoid moves like this, so it's a shame to hear that it may still be ongoing.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Canadian Law Enforcement Want Government To Force People To Turn Over Their Passwords
- What It Looks Like When The Terrorists Win: The JFK Stampede Over Fans Cheering For Usain Bolt
- Twitter Suspends Hundreds Of Thousands Of Terrorist Accounts, Gives Everyone Its 'Quality Filter'
- Did The FBI Get Confused And Arrest One Of Its Own Informants For Helping Create One Of Its Own Plots?
- Terrorist-Fighting License Plate Readers Just Mobile Revenue Generators Cruising Poor Neighborhoods