by Mike Masnick
Tue, Jun 21st 2011 1:07am
Back in the days of J. Edgar Hoover running the FBI and Senator Joseph McCarthy accusing all sorts of people of various "un-American" activities, you ran the risk of being accused of all sorts of things just for disagreeing with the government. It seemed like those days were over, and I'd love to believe those days really are over, but Pickle Monger points us to the unfortunate news that the FBI has been raiding homes of various political activists, claiming that it's part of a terrorism investigation. Many of the targets of the raids seem like unlikely "terrorists," as they include peace/anti-war activists and union organizers. Whatever you think of their politics, we should certainly be worried when there's any sense that political viewpoints are getting wrapped up in any claims of a "terrorism" investigation. It seems like it's so easy to abuse that word to go after anyone who law enforcement doesn't like. You would hope that America would have learned from its past to avoid moves like this, so it's a shame to hear that it may still be ongoing.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Federal Judge Catches DOJ Lying, Sanctions Lawyers With Mandatory Ethics Classes
- James Comey Still Trying To Blame Increase In Violent Crime On 'Viral Videos'
- Court Denies Immunity To Law Enforcement Officer Who Arrested Crew Sent To Clean Out His Foreclosed House
- Your Tax Dollars At Work: Cops Use Stingray To ALMOST Track Down Suspected Fast Food Thief
- Rep. Issa Calls Out Civil Asset Forfeiture As Letting 'Cops Go Treasure Hunting'