by Mike Masnick
Tue, Jun 21st 2011 1:07am
Back in the days of J. Edgar Hoover running the FBI and Senator Joseph McCarthy accusing all sorts of people of various "un-American" activities, you ran the risk of being accused of all sorts of things just for disagreeing with the government. It seemed like those days were over, and I'd love to believe those days really are over, but Pickle Monger points us to the unfortunate news that the FBI has been raiding homes of various political activists, claiming that it's part of a terrorism investigation. Many of the targets of the raids seem like unlikely "terrorists," as they include peace/anti-war activists and union organizers. Whatever you think of their politics, we should certainly be worried when there's any sense that political viewpoints are getting wrapped up in any claims of a "terrorism" investigation. It seems like it's so easy to abuse that word to go after anyone who law enforcement doesn't like. You would hope that America would have learned from its past to avoid moves like this, so it's a shame to hear that it may still be ongoing.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- 71% Of Americans Oppose Civil Asset Forfeiture. Too Bad Their Representatives Don't Care.
- In The Post-Ferguson World, Cops Are Now Victims And It's The Public That's Going To Pay The Price
- Court: Cell Site Location Records From Five Minutes Ago Are 'Historical,' Not 'Real Time'
- Cop Invents Device That Sniffs MAC Addresses To Locate Stolen Devices
- New Hampshire Library Rejects DHS Fearmongering, Turns Tor Back On