Rick Reilly's Advice To Journalism Students: Please Don't Compete With Me And Undercut My Salary

from the that's-not-advice,-that's-fear... dept

Simon Bodger points us to a story about how ESPN's Rick Reilly -- who has been described as the highest-paid writer in the country gave the commencement speech for journalism students at the University of Colorado, and told them never, ever to write for free:
When you get out there, all I ask is that you: DONíT WRITE FOR FREE! Nobody asks strippers to strip for free, doctors to doctor for free or professors to profess for free. Have some pride! What you know how to do now is a skill that 99.9 percent of the people donít have. If you do it for free, they wonít respect you in the morning. Or the next day. Or the day after that. You sink everybodyís boat in the harbor, not just yours. So just DONíT!
Thankfully, folks like Craig Calcaterra are pointing out that this is absolutely "horrible, horrible advice."
Writers need to write. A lot. Indeed, the only way anyone gets better as a writer is to just Ö do it. Your credential as a J-school grad is nice, but it is insignificant compared to experience. And, as the media world progresses further and further into the digital age, it becomes increasingly insignificant in an absolute sense.
Furthermore, Calcaterra points out what Reilly is really saying here, which is "don't undercut me, so I can keep my super high salary":
What Reilly is really doing here is not giving advice to graduates. Heís giving them a warning: ďDonít take my job! Donít take my friendsí jobs! They make a good living writing, and if you come in and undercut them with your blog or your contributed piece, you may screw with the system, so cut it out, will ya?Ē
Also, I think Reilly is wrong. Plenty of people ask doctors to doctor for free and professors to profess for free -- just not all the time. I assume that people also ask strippers to strip for free as well, and my limited knowledge of stripper employment suggests that they make most of their money from tips, rather than salary, anyway... But the point -- which seems to go right over Reilly's head -- is that doing something for free is not the same thing as not earning money. No one is saying "write everything for free." What people are saying is that writing some things for free can have serious benefits, in terms of exposure, or recognition, or the ability to improve your writing. And, for many, it becomes a way to make money. I wrote Techdirt for free for many years, and now it makes me a good living. If I had followed Reilly's advice, I never would have started Techdirt in the first place.

"Free" isn't the enemy.

Jay (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 1:33pm

" Doctors to doctor for free"

Doctors without Borders - an international medical humanitarian organization working in nearly 70 countries to assist people whose survival is threatened by violence, neglect, or catastrophe.

"Engineers to engineer for free"

Engineers without Borders - EWB-USA helps create a more stable and prosperous world by addressing people's basic human needs by providing necessities such as clean water, power, sanitation and education.

I could do this all day. However just these two examples far exceed Reilly's paycheck in terms of societal benefit.

Pickle Monger (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 1:37pm

Idea - pricess. For everything else there's MasterCard

[...] and my limited knowledge of stripper employment suggests that they make most of their money from tips,[...]

ATTENTION ALL TECHDIRT REGULARS:
    Can we get a Kistarter project going to pay Mike Masnick a lap dance? :))))

Billy Wenge-Murphy (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 2:19pm

is a skill that 99.9 percent of the people donít have

Only 1 person in 1000 can put words together in a coherent manner according to a formula?

Actually he may be right about that....

umccullough (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 2:21pm

What he really meant to say is: "is a skill that 99.9 percent of people didn't pay tuition to have."

Anonymous Coward, May 6th, 2011 @ 2:24pm

Good thing there are no lawyers out there doing pro bono work - nobody would respect them in the morning.

John Doe, May 6th, 2011 @ 2:25pm

"Freenemy"

Free is the enemy. But free can be beat. The problem is, most people don't want to learn how.

Steven (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 2:27pm

Does anybody respect them in the morning anyway? or the afternoon for that matter?

Steven (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 2:30pm

I can't count the number of times I've met somebody, told them I'm a programmer, and the next thing I hear is:
    "Oh, you know computers? I'm having a problem with..."
    And yes, I usually try to help.

Anonymous Coward, May 6th, 2011 @ 2:30pm

Check this out:

According to the annual accounts, its total budget is of Ä4,000,000, which is mostly financed by sale of photo-albums (of which the authors freely grant copyright, and which are freely distributed by the Nouvelles Messageries de la presse parisienne, NMPP[7]), as well as extras such as T-shirts, etc.

HOW DARE THEY!!!

umccullough (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 2:31pm

Good for you! You're *not* ruining it for the rest of us, because you're the sucker they go to every time now :D

umccullough (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 2:36pm

Ok, I felt bad after that, because I do the same thing...

But, after a couple times, I do remind them that I don't have unlimited spare time after work to help others with their computer problems - and at that point, one of two things usually happens:

1) they offer to pay me
    2) they decide to buy a new computer and give me their old POS (which I then reformat and put to good use somewhere)

Steven (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 2:47pm

Hehe, yeah. Basically the same.

The only thing I really hate is when somebody is having problems some software I've never used:

"I'm sorry, I don't know how this works."
    "But, you know computers right?"
    "Well, understanding how computers work doesn't mean I know how all software ever written works."

1) "Fine, if you didn't want to help you could have just said so."
    2) "You must not be all that good at computers. If my nephew were here..."
    3) "Okay, but can you just fix it?"

Thankfully all my worst horror stories date back to when I was actually tech support/computer builder for a small white box computer chain.

It's been a long time since I've had a real bad experience.

Anonymous Coward, May 6th, 2011 @ 2:49pm

Re: Idea - pricess. For everything else there's MasterCard

I'd rather pay mike to give me a lapdance. RtB indeed.

NullOp, May 6th, 2011 @ 3:06pm

RIGHT!!!

Mr. Reilly is 100% correct. If you start doing what you do for free you have announced the official cost of what your work is worth! Really! This is absolutely true. Do you think for any small portion of a second the CEO of your company would work for free? OH HELL NO!!!

Working for free is the worst thing anyone can do!(and don't be stupid and say "Well there is murder...")

Blatant Coward (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 3:19pm

Depends on how good their lapdancing is.

el_segfaulto (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 3:22pm

Let's not even get into the Open Source software movement. I have donated countless hours on projects that I deem to have a value to society. I'm a programmer who does indeed program for free.

el_segfaulto (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 3:24pm

The last time I had a family member ask that, I told them that my current research was utilizing multi-ARM servers as a dynamic load bearing cluster, and that I really don't know much about Windows XP drivers.

Scote, May 6th, 2011 @ 3:27pm

Strippers

I believe Mike is right. Strippers often work for tips. And not only do they give a way their work in hopes of tips, they actually **pay** the strip club for the privilege of performing as independent contractors. So Simon Bodger's arguments are bunk.

Someantimalwareguy, May 6th, 2011 @ 3:44pm

Re: Re: Re: Re:

Same story here, but I just don't have that kind of time anymore so what I do is simply to tell them that it will take me about 2 to 3 weeks to get to their system in my free time.

1) "Ok, I will pay you..."
    2) "Why so long?"
    3) "Come on, be a good neighbor..."

The last always has me just look them in the eye and tell them: "Look, the time is still going to be the same whether you pay me or not and further, if you get help from a certified and insured tech with an actual repair business, you would have a real possibility of redress should the "fixing" have unexpected results..."

This usually has them scampering off to the local tech for help to get their box back up and running quickly. Saves me a hell of a lot of time and helps support my local tech...

Travis Miller (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 3:48pm

Stripper tips

At some clubs, the strippers PAY the club for the right to dance. They give customers a "reason to buy" through paying more attention to better tippers and the general understanding that without tips these people won't continue stripping.

Xris (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 3:50pm

Can it also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocating dingle arm to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.

Anonymous Coward, May 6th, 2011 @ 3:50pm

so...

Was he paid to write the commencement speech?

Anonymous Coward, May 6th, 2011 @ 4:00pm

Re: Re: Re: Re:

I actually enjoyed helping coworkers fix their PCs for free. "Just bring it in and I'll fix it, no worries. All I ask for is a mocha or latte :)"

I did this for a decade during idle time at work, so it was no problem for my work, either.

Until I was threatened angrily by a coworker because I spent "too-much-time" on bringing to life a virus-infected system (had rootkit installed.) I had the sense she was on the border of suing me.

So now I charge a fee, and I have a boilerplate piece of paper all legalese'd up saying I can't be responsible for delays or data loss (I always attempt a disk image like dd or Acronis first.) Sad, the world used to be much more simple.

Kaden (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 4:08pm

Re: RIGHT!!!

Are you being sarcastic or dim? It's really hard to tell.

Travis Miller (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 4:15pm

Re: Strippers

Dang it. Apparently we had the same thought, but it takes me way too long to type on the PS3's on-screen keyboard. (Must pick up batteries for wireless keyboard tonight.)

el_segfaulto (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 4:25pm

It can be, but only if used in conjunction with a low-voltage memory regulator or potentially some infrared LEDs in a cylindrical array (for safety's sake).

Marcus Carab (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 5:11pm

Re: "Freenemy"

free is the enemy of what exactly?

Simon, May 6th, 2011 @ 5:38pm

Re: Re: Idea - pricess. For everything else there's MasterCard

I've heard the first one's free.

umccullough (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 5:41pm

Re: RIGHT!!!

There are plenty of CEOs that actually do "work for free" - often in the capacity of participating on the board of a non profit corporation or even a colleague's company as an advisor.

Everyone can have a hobby - and if that hobby includes helping others, or inspiring others, what's the problem with that? If it just happens to overlap with what you do for a living, that's awesome!

Anonymous Coward, May 6th, 2011 @ 5:41pm

That's a looooooooooooooooooot of t-shirts

Scote, May 6th, 2011 @ 5:42pm

Re: Re: Strippers

What are the odds of both of us thinking of strippers--I mean thinking of the fact that strippers don't just dance for free they actually pay for the privilege? :-> I wonder if our sports writer wonder boy knows that people often pay for the privilege of working--including paying to have their own website or business which may work at a loss but provides experience and exposure which can pay off in other ways, including in the long term?

But you get extra points for tying it back to TechDirt with one of Mike's favorite phrases, "reason to buy" :-)

umccullough (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 5:45pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

Yeah, if I'm super busy at work and in the evenings, it can take me a couple weeks before I get around to fixing that machine someone "dropped off to get fixed"...

So I always warn them beforehand that it might be a while before they get it back...

It's a "get what you pay for" situation, and people better understand that going in.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 6th, 2011 @ 6:42pm

Re: RIGHT!!!

And if you start your profession by not doing any work because nobody will pay you you have announced the official position of how productive youíre going to be!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 6th, 2011 @ 6:43pm

Re: RIGHT!!!

Anonymous Coward, May 6th, 2011 @ 9:06pm

Re: Re: "Freenemy"

A lawyer's hourly rate?

misterdoug (profile), May 6th, 2011 @ 9:46pm

You're right, Mike

Doing things for free or "pro bono" is commonplace and hasn't destroyed any profession that I know of. Reilly either lives in a completely different world or has a huge stick up his ass.

Anonymous Coward, May 6th, 2011 @ 11:18pm

"I *hate* telling people to pay me money to simply help them clean a virus off their machine or whatever."

Not seeing what is simple about it. What is simple is making money off of need or ignorance. If X can't figure out how to get the virus off and asks Y to do so, X should pay (be it money, coffee, or something).

Time is money.

The eejit (profile), May 7th, 2011 @ 1:54am

Re: You're right, Mike

Why can it not be that there's a huge stick up his ass that took him to Earth-626?

PaulT (profile), May 7th, 2011 @ 4:16am

Re: Re: Re: Re:

You must be a joy to have around as a friend... "can you give me a hand with this?" "yeah, but I want $100 up front, my time is money and I don't understand the concepts of favours or charity".

The eejit (profile), May 7th, 2011 @ 4:20am

Re: Re: Re: Re:

And seeing as everything these days is about money, and money is the root of all evil, everything is evil, given your logic.

Nah, I'm just messin' wit'ya.

Chris in Utah (profile), May 7th, 2011 @ 5:43am

Amusement for a social studier.

If you don't study society please disregard this message as it will likely pass right over your head.

I just have to point this out the stripper pole analogy dam near had him side-tracked. I think its the first time (here anyway) that I've seen a Freudian slip of sex pervade Mikes writing.

Jay (profile), May 7th, 2011 @ 9:24am

Re: Re: Re: Strippers

There's other benefits since most strippers actually get money from clientele in other ways. Kind of a reason that strippers don't tend to be over 40 without serious work.

And we're going to keep this PG-13 and let you, the reader, connect the dots.

DannyB (profile), May 7th, 2011 @ 1:06pm

That's the secret.

I always make clear I don't know much about Windows and I don't want to know much about Windows.

I use it at work where it is provided and I'm not responsible for maintaining it nor two thousand other desktops. The same development and other tools I use at work (all FOSS) run on my Linux at home.

Anonymous Coward, May 7th, 2011 @ 7:38pm

Re: Re: Re: Re:

You're right - an ass like you wouldn't get my "free" service in the first place :)

misterdoug (profile), May 8th, 2011 @ 8:39am

Re: RIGHT!!!

Giving away goods and services for free to good causes is a very common practice in the business community, and it doesn't drive people out of business or lower the going rates. There's no need to argue this, it's just a plain fact.

Eric, May 9th, 2011 @ 11:19am

Working for free..

Working for free got me my current job. The place I worked paid me w/ experience and contacts. Working for free is almost needed at times to build up experience and a resume. Working for free paid off big for me.