DailyDirt: No Meatless Mondays For Cavemen...

from the urls-we-dig-up dept

Modern humans have all sorts of wacky diets that are probably slowly killing us in ways we don't fully recognize, but that doesn't mean we should all start eating the way people did thousands or millions of years ago, either. Drinking a "soylent green" all liquid or all processed diet doesn't sound like an optimal solution, but if grown adults want to eat fancy baby food, let them try that experiment (and I'll volunteer to be in the control group). If you want to know more about pre-historic meals, though, check out a few of these links. After you've finished checking out those links, take a look at our Daily Deals for cool gadgets and other awesome stuff.

Filed Under: ancestors, butchery, diet, early humans, food, health, meals, meat, microbiome, paleo diet, teeth

Reader Comments

View by: Time | Thread

• identicon
    Lawrence D’Oliveiro, 21 Mar 2016 @ 5:04pm

We Humans Were Born To Use Tools And Fire

We evolved to use tools and eat our food cooked. Without tools, we are weak and ineffectual. Raw meat is mostly indigestible, and raw vegetable matter cannot give us the nutrients we need.

So it is clear that it is ancestral species that learned the basics of tool use and how to exploit fire. The changes this brought about created our species.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• identicon
    Pixelation, 21 Mar 2016 @ 9:24pm

"Using tools to cut raw meat probably allowed our early ancestors to spend less time chewing -- and more time doing other things. "

Less time chewing, more time screwing. No wonder there are so many of us!

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• identicon
      Lawrence D’Oliveiro, 21 Mar 2016 @ 11:03pm

Re: Less time chewing, more time screwing.

Could that be why human sperm is of such low quality compared to that of other species?

I have heard it said that, if a man were a bull, he’d be shot.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• icon
    JoeDetroit (profile), 22 Mar 2016 @ 4:29am

Works for me!

22 years ago I changed careers from construction to engineering. I then proceeded to gain 60 lbs in about 7 years.

When I got fed up with the heartburn, sleep apnea, & feeling like crap all the time turned it around. At first all I did was walk at lunch & stay away from snacks & I lost 20 lbs in about a year. Then I stepped it up by getting a gym membership & going 3-4 times a week. No more white foods at that point, except cauliflower & I lost another 20.

That was it, I was stuck at that point. Varied +/-10 lbs but could not lose any more weight. Then I started the Paleo diet/lifestyle. Following it very loosely, cheating regularly, I was able to lose another 30 lbs. Plus I feel fantastic!

The Paleo Diet is the one that all the experts love to hate. NO GRAINS!?!?! It could be that the diet is rated so low is because most find it very hard to maintain. Some can't stop the bread & pasta. But it works for me. Maybe because I was close to it before I started. Just meat, lots of vegetables, & fruit for me. I eat all I need, delicious meals, & I'm never hungry. The result of working out daily & eating well has made me in the best shape I've been since my early 20s.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• icon
      Ninja (profile), 22 Mar 2016 @ 5:13am

Re: Works for me!

I was honestly expecting Techdirt page to quickly switch to those diet programs adverts with slim abs and smiling faces where you buy something and get something other because reasons and weight loss.

Ahem.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• identicon
      michael, 22 Mar 2016 @ 2:01pm

Re: Works for me!

Paleo is a great way of eating that's hamstrung by bad marketing.

Best thing for naysayers to remember: It's an eating framework, not a historical reenactment.

Paleo allows no processing of foods beyond cutting and cooking; there's really no downside.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• icon
    shane (profile), 22 Mar 2016 @ 8:09am

Chewing?

Because chewing is what keeps us from doing "other things"?

Folk science.