by Mike Masnick
Wed, May 4th 2011 9:56am
Pickle Monger points us to the news that some Utah legislators are hoping pass new laws to add an extra fee for owners of hybrid and electric vehicles. The complaint is that those people don't spend as much (if anything) on gas, and thus don't pay gas taxes. Of course, they're also not polluting the air quite as much, which was part of the point. The article notes that other states are considering similar taxes and fees on those who buy such cars. It's as if politicians don't recognize how incentives work...
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Prominent Salt Lake City Residents Sue The NSA Over Mass Warrantless Surveillance During The 2002 Olympics
- DailyDirt: Rideables Aren't Quite Ready To 'Change Lives, Cities And Ways Of Thinking'
- Belgian Collection Society Wants To Extend Its 'You Must Be A Pirate' Tax To Cover All-In-One Printers
- Chicago Rages Against The Future With 9% Tax On Netflix, Spotify And Other Streaming Services
- Ford Pretends To Open Up Its Patents Like Tesla, But Doesn't; Media Falls For It