by Mike Masnick
Mon, Apr 18th 2011 10:56pm
When George Hotz (Geohot) settled the lawsuit Sony had filed against him for jailbreaking the PS3 in order to restore a feature that Sony had taken away (despite advertising it), many were upset. Part of the reason people were upset was that he had asked for donations, and insisted that he would fight Sony until the end. Those people wanted to know what would happen to the money they donated. Geohot has now said he's donating the remaining cash to the EFF, which hopefully will satisfy those who were upset over that aspect. As I said earlier, unless you've been subject to a lawsuit from a giant company, it's tough to sit there and criticize a guy for settling, rather than fighting to the end. The legal system is set up such that it's a stacked deck against the little guy, so as disappointing as it may be not to get a full ruling out of this, it's hard to fault Geohot.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Dismantling The Repair Monopoly Created By The DMCA's Anti-Circumvention Rules
- PayPal Continues To Drive People To Bitcoin And Other Solutions As It Starts Cutting Off VPNs & Open Internet Solutions
- Ares Rights Gets EFF Lawyer Suspended From Twitter For Posting Mild Criticism
- Feds Confirm Cardinals Accessed Astros System With Old Password, File Unauthorized Access Charges
- FBI Deploying Large-Scale Hacking With Little To No Judicial Oversight