by Mike Masnick
Mon, Apr 18th 2011 10:56pm
When George Hotz (Geohot) settled the lawsuit Sony had filed against him for jailbreaking the PS3 in order to restore a feature that Sony had taken away (despite advertising it), many were upset. Part of the reason people were upset was that he had asked for donations, and insisted that he would fight Sony until the end. Those people wanted to know what would happen to the money they donated. Geohot has now said he's donating the remaining cash to the EFF, which hopefully will satisfy those who were upset over that aspect. As I said earlier, unless you've been subject to a lawsuit from a giant company, it's tough to sit there and criticize a guy for settling, rather than fighting to the end. The legal system is set up such that it's a stacked deck against the little guy, so as disappointing as it may be not to get a full ruling out of this, it's hard to fault Geohot.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- WIPO Gives EFF Control Over Bogus Domain Used To Distribute Keyloggers And Other Malware
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon Says The Government Will 'Stop' Bitcoin
- EFF Discovers More Leaky ALPR Cameras Accessible Via The Web
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 48: Our Hacking Laws Are A Mess
- Dear Sheldon Whitehouse: Do You Really Mean To Put Activists In Jail?