by Mike Masnick
Mon, Apr 18th 2011 10:56pm
When George Hotz (Geohot) settled the lawsuit Sony had filed against him for jailbreaking the PS3 in order to restore a feature that Sony had taken away (despite advertising it), many were upset. Part of the reason people were upset was that he had asked for donations, and insisted that he would fight Sony until the end. Those people wanted to know what would happen to the money they donated. Geohot has now said he's donating the remaining cash to the EFF, which hopefully will satisfy those who were upset over that aspect. As I said earlier, unless you've been subject to a lawsuit from a giant company, it's tough to sit there and criticize a guy for settling, rather than fighting to the end. The legal system is set up such that it's a stacked deck against the little guy, so as disappointing as it may be not to get a full ruling out of this, it's hard to fault Geohot.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Teen Changes Wallpaper On Teacher's Computer; Gets Charged With A Felony By Sheriff's Office
- EFF Helps Bust Bogus Patent That Was Being Used To Shake Down Podcasters
- EFF, Human Rights Watch Sue The DEA Over Mass Surveillance Program
- Judicial Committee Gives FBI The First OK It Needs To Hack Any Computer, Anywhere On The Planet
- Australian Government Prosecuting Anonymous Member Who Allegedly Exposed The Major Flaw In Its Data Retention Demands