by Mike Masnick
Fri, Mar 25th 2011 9:36am
What is it with intellectual property holders? The government already grants them an unfair, innovation-limiting monopoly that extends way beyond reason... and then they still expect others to go to ridiculous levels to prop up their own business models. The latest is that trademark holders are pushing for new third party liability rules in treaties via WIPO. Specifically, the apparent proposal would mean that third party service providers wouldn't just need to take down things on request, but would also have to proactively monitor and hand identifying info over to trademark holders without a court order. The sense of entitlement here is astounding.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- After Trademark Cease And Desist, Brewery Change Beer Named 'Night Train' To 'Night Rain'
- LMFAO The Beer Survives LMFAO The Band's Lawyers To Keep Its Name
- EU Orders Makers Of DieselStormers To Change Name Because Diesel Clothing Trademarked Diesel For Everything
- Gosling's Rum Forgoes Free Promotion Of Famous Cocktail In Favor Of Trademark
- Marilyn Monroe Estate Trying To Use Trademark To Enforce Publicity Rights Court Said It Doesn't Have