Business Models

by Nina Paley

Repost This

Filed Under:
business models

Where's A Business Method Patent When You Need One?

from the no-one-should-copy-this dept

duffmeister (profile), Mar 9th, 2011 @ 5:47am

Truly an in depth analysis, so many points made clearly as well.

Anonymous Coward, Mar 9th, 2011 @ 6:30am

This article? tl;dr.

Anonymous Coward, Mar 9th, 2011 @ 6:56am

If you...

If you copy anything I say, do, or think, I'll SUE you.
    Where did you get such a dreadful business model?
    I COPIED it!

Hiiragi Kagami (profile), Mar 9th, 2011 @ 6:57am

ROTFLMAO!

Yeah, the subject says it all. Nina, you outdid yourself!

*copies this.

Anonymous Coward, Mar 9th, 2011 @ 7:03am

Random copyright insanity rant

Actually, this "you can't copy" mentality of today is driving me insane.

The driving force behind it seems the be the old "you can't listen to something you didn't pay for". But that's ridiculous. That would mean that I couldn't listen to a song somebody else bought (at a friend's house, for example). Oh sure, you could claim that I'm being the ridiculous one, but consider the streaming of that song. If someone (who paid for the song) decides to stream it on the internet, he's a criminal! Even tough he paid for it. And I am a criminal for listening to it (it's a win-win scenario for the copyright holder: they get to sue 2 people).

There's the broadcasting part of it, I know. But if I play it too loud in my computer, someone could allege that I am broadcasting it. Or, if I play it at a party, I could suddenly become a criminal!

Then, there's the copying of the song. I can make backups, fine. But what if I store my backup offsite (on the cloud, for example) where it could be accessed by many people, (family and friends). Copyright infringement! What if I don't and just rip it into mp3's and store the music on my PC? Still a criminal (circumvention of copy protection)! What about watching movies on something other than the "approved" player? More circumvention of protections technology, more crimes.

So, basically, what I am trying to say is: might as well copy it. You'll be a pirate either way.

Anonymous Coward, Mar 9th, 2011 @ 7:19am

More of the worst humor on the internet.

martyburns (profile), Mar 9th, 2011 @ 7:28am

Humour? I assumed it was a true story.

Anonymous Coward, Mar 9th, 2011 @ 7:31am

That's your opinion. It's easy to criticise artists when we, ourselves, don't produce anything meaningful. Or funny. Or insightful. In the meantime, can you share some good humour with us please?

I'll go first:

What do you call a bus full of lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start!

What if one of the seats was empty?

A crying shame.

Anonymous Coward, Mar 9th, 2011 @ 7:36am

Is there anything about IP that Nina DOES get? I've seen no evidence to suggest there is.

harbingerofdoom (profile), Mar 9th, 2011 @ 8:16am

yes there is...
    its called "pretty much all of it".

which is a refreshing breeze from that anonymous coward person who generally proves that he knows very little about it while coming off like a complete pompous ass while doing so.

The eejit (profile), Mar 9th, 2011 @ 8:26am

Look at it this way: Hollywood wouldn't exist as it is if it hadn't copied exactly the early cinematography scene.

duffmeister (profile), Mar 9th, 2011 @ 9:13am

;-) it was intended as a joke.

I guess my sarcasm mark got erased.

Anonymous Coward, Mar 9th, 2011 @ 9:38am

How many lawyers does it take to screw in a light bulb? All of them and they still fuck it up.

Anonymous Coward, Mar 9th, 2011 @ 10:44am

I just don't think the cartoons are very funny because they just parrot the silly talking points around here. There isn't much in the way of original though, and they seek mostly to further the Techdirt FUD.

vivaelamor (profile), Mar 9th, 2011 @ 1:35pm

"In my opinion, they aren't very amusing, they don't even rise to the level of bad political commentary."

Your opinion might exceed negative weight if you gave us some examples of what you consider to be good humour.

Anonymous Coward, Mar 9th, 2011 @ 3:51pm

This is techdirt where copying=innovation. There is nothing above and beyond copying, that is the ultimate goal. Copying will save all of humanity and bring us out of the dark ages. Because we said so.