If You're Going To Use Someone's Credit Card Fraudulently, Perhaps Don't Ring Up $800,000 Worth Of Charges

from the it's-the-little-things-that-get-you dept

A New York City cabbie has apparently plead guilty to ripping off a passenger for $800,000, after keeping his credit card number on file and using it over the next few months. The cardholder was clearly wealthy (he had taken the cab to an airport in New Jersey to pick up his private jet), but if you're using the card for fraudulent charges, don't you have to realize that, sooner or later, people are going to notice hundreds of thousands of dollars of questionable charges? Amazingly, it actually took a little while and it wasn't the guy or anyone who worked for him -- but the credit card company that noticed "suspicious activity."

Zacqary Adam Green (profile), Feb 16th, 2011 @ 10:15pm

If you're the kind of person who wouldn't even notice $800,000 worth of charges on your credit card, then maybe, just maybe, you deserve it. Just a little bit.

Jay (profile), Feb 16th, 2011 @ 10:21pm

Why I would most certainly take all of that extra money off of your hands.

You won't be needing this and the economy will be stimulated quite nicely with your generous donation.

Now, if I may say so:

A yo ho ho
    And a bottle of rum!

Old Fool (profile), Feb 16th, 2011 @ 11:39pm

I remember reading about a butler who stole 500k or so from his employers over the course of a year before they noticed. He was only a few years from retirement, and he spent it all on crack and prostitutes.

Kudos old man, way to go!

Anonymous Coward, Feb 17th, 2011 @ 6:17am

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. -George Best

Vidiot (profile), Feb 17th, 2011 @ 6:20am

$800K = Pattern

My credit card companies see $80 of charges as "suspicious activity".

Berenerd (profile), Feb 17th, 2011 @ 6:30am

Re: $800K = Pattern

mine would be calling me on $.80. I am broke...

Brian Schroth (profile), Feb 17th, 2011 @ 6:54am

Remind me not to get a card from American Express. If their anti-fraud department is so incompetent that it takes them several months to notice $800K in fraudulent charges, they are failures.

Anonymous Coward, Feb 17th, 2011 @ 1:31pm

When my credit card was stolen, I didn't report it. The thief spent less than my wife.

coward #2, Jan 31st, 2014 @ 9:43am

Response to: Anonymous Coward on Feb 17th, 2011 @ 1:31pm

LMFAOOOOOO HAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats some funny shit right there hahahahaha