by Mike Masnick
Mon, Feb 7th 2011 7:21am
Wired has the bizarre story of a UK border agent who, in an apparent attempt to get his wife out of his life, put her name on the terrorist watch list, which left her stranded in Pakistan (where she was visiting relatives) for three years, unable to fly back home to the UK. That seems like a rather extreme way to get your wife out of the picture. And, apparently, this nefarious plan all would have worked... if only the guy never thought to apply for a promotion. Since the promotion would involve higher security clearance, he was put through a background check, where it was revealed his wife was on the watchlist. That created a bit of concern... and then it was realized that he had put her there. He's since been fired. Of course, the bigger question is whether or not whoever designed the system in such a way that it would allow a single person to add his own wife to the terrorist watch list, with no oversight and no review, was fired as well. It would seem like that person has some serious questions to answer as well.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- New Whistleblower Claims UK's Nuclear Submarine Fleet A 'Disaster Waiting To Happen'
- Border Patrol Agents Tase Woman For Refusing To Cooperate With Their Bogus Search
- Tired Of Losing Legal Challenges To Its Surveillance, UK Government Secretly Changes Law So It Can Win
- UK Government Review Says Use Prizes, Not Patents, To Produce Much-Needed New Antibiotics
- UK Plans To Do Away With Free Speech... In The Name Of Free Speech