by Mike Masnick
Wed, Nov 17th 2010 9:10am
chillienet alerts us to some new rules for law enforcement regarding private searches down in Australia. Apparently as long as police think you just might be a terrorist, they no longer need to get a search warrant. I'm sure that won't be abused at all... The whole point of requiring warrants is to avoid abuse. Taking away that check almost guarantees that the powers will be seriously abused.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Legislators, School Administrators Back Off Cellphone Search Bill After Running Into ACLU Opposition
- EFF Goes To Court To Stop Australian Patent Troll From Stifling Free Speech
- Moderate French Presidential Candidate Suggests He May Pressure US Tech Companies Into Creating Encryption Backdoors
- New York Appeals Court Says Facebook Can't Challenge The 381 Broad Warrants Handed To It By New York Prosecutors
- State Appeals Court Says There's An Expectation Of Privacy In Vehicle Data Recorders