by Mike Masnick
Wed, Nov 17th 2010 9:10am
chillienet alerts us to some new rules for law enforcement regarding private searches down in Australia. Apparently as long as police think you just might be a terrorist, they no longer need to get a search warrant. I'm sure that won't be abused at all... The whole point of requiring warrants is to avoid abuse. Taking away that check almost guarantees that the powers will be seriously abused.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Federal Bill Introduced To Add A Warrant Requirement To Stingray Deployment
- Confirmed: TSA's Behavioral Detection Program Is Useless, Biased, And Based On Junk Science
- UK Search Engines Will Sign Up To A 'Voluntary' Code On Piracy -- Or Face The Consequences
- Iowa Appeals Court Doubles Down On Curbing Police Abuse Of 'Inventory Search' Warrant Exceptions
- Australian Guy Demands Techdirt Story Be Blocked In Australia Over Comments