by Mike Masnick
Wed, Nov 17th 2010 6:02pm
The Mount Washington Hotel & Resort is located in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire, alongside (you guessed it) Mount Washington. But, apparently the operation, which has been around for a while, but which was taken over by new owners a few years back, is now sending cease and desist letters to other "lodging" businesses in the area who also use the Mount Washington name. Yes, despite taking the name themselves from the place where they are, they're now claiming that only they can use that name when it comes to lodging. The article is a little unclear, but it says they never registered a trademark on the name... but still say that the USPTO "has agreed with the company that there is a likelihood of confusion when it comes to other lodging properties that share the name." Of course, the fact that all these places have coexisted without problem for years certainly seems to suggest otherwise....
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Flour City Pasta Goes Trademark On All The Other Flour City Food Companies Until Backlash Ensues
- No, Making Fun Of Donald Trump's Stupid Red Hat Isn't Trademark Infringement
- After Trademark Cease And Desist, Brewery Change Beer Named 'Night Train' To 'Night Rain'
- LMFAO The Beer Survives LMFAO The Band's Lawyers To Keep Its Name
- EU Orders Makers Of DieselStormers To Change Name Because Diesel Clothing Trademarked Diesel For Everything