by Mike Masnick
Thu, Nov 11th 2010 2:55pm
Just as stories were spreading that speed cameras were finally on the decline in the UK, The Daily Mail is reporting on a new kind of speed camera that doesn't just check if you're speeding, but at the same time looks if you're tailgating, checks your insurance & car taxes (via a license plate recognition camera), and also makes sure you're wearing a seatbelt. All in one tidy package. It also sends off the images immediately to the police, so that they can start processing your (multiple) tickets before you're even at the next block. Of course, since evidence has shown, over and over again, that these kinds of cameras don't actually make anyone safer, shouldn't we be focused on finding technologies that actually do make the roads safer, rather than just those that boost local government coffers?
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Judge Voids Tons Of Chicago Traffic Camera Tickets Over Due Process Concerns
- Missouri Court Upholds Right Of Citizens To 'Vote' Traffic Enforcement Cameras Out Of 'Office'
- Traffic Cam Company 'Bagman' Pleads Guilty To Bribing Chicago Transportation Official
- Complete Failure: Chicago's Speed Camera Traps Fail To Bring In The Revenue Mayor Emanuel Counted Upon
- 'Revenue Generating' Traffic Cameras Forcing Governments To Refund Millions Of Dollars