by Mike Masnick
Wed, Oct 13th 2010 1:23am
Thought we were done with the silly political grandstanding against Craigslist, which won't stop child trafficking, but will actually help the scumbags who are involved in the practice? No such luck. Apparently politicians in other countries have seen how politically successful such grandstanding is, and are using the same tactics against Craigslist. Some Ontario politicians are now demanding that Craigslist takedown its adult section in Canada (Craigslist only self-censored the section in the US). Of course, as in the US, this won't help law enforcement stop prostitution and child trafficking. It will only serve to drive it further underground and make it harder to track and stop. But I'm sure it makes for good-looking headlines, even if it makes the problem worse.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Canada Wants To Cut Price Of 'World's Most Expensive Drug'; US Manufacturer Sues To Stop It
- Security Researcher Brian Krebs Receives Legal Threat From Former Ashley Madison Exec Over Hacking Allegations
- Videotron Tests Neutrality In Canada: Biggest Music Apps Now Cap Exempt
- No Craig Newmark Did Not Donate To EFF; He Helped Make CFAA Worse Instead
- In Deal To Get Loretta Lynch Confirmed As Attorney General, Senate Agrees To Undermine Free Speech On The Internet