by Mike Masnick
Wed, Oct 13th 2010 1:23am
Thought we were done with the silly political grandstanding against Craigslist, which won't stop child trafficking, but will actually help the scumbags who are involved in the practice? No such luck. Apparently politicians in other countries have seen how politically successful such grandstanding is, and are using the same tactics against Craigslist. Some Ontario politicians are now demanding that Craigslist takedown its adult section in Canada (Craigslist only self-censored the section in the US). Of course, as in the US, this won't help law enforcement stop prostitution and child trafficking. It will only serve to drive it further underground and make it harder to track and stop. But I'm sure it makes for good-looking headlines, even if it makes the problem worse.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Eli Lilly Loses Quixotic Quest To Get Canada To Pay $500 Million For Rejecting Its Bad Patents
- Canada Says It Won't Attend Special 301 Hearing Because USTR Prefers Industry Allegations To Facts And Data
- Canada-EU Trade Deal Ratified By European Union; Now Needs Approval By All Member States' National Parliaments
- Journalists Blaming Facebook For Decline Is Just As Tiresome As When They Blamed Craigslist & Google
- The Unbelievably True Story Of How Craigslist Murdered Over 100 People