by Mike Masnick
Mon, Sep 20th 2010 6:31am
This one's just bizarre, but the story is making the rounds that Apple threatened to takedown Newsday's apps if Newsday didn't kill the following commercial that's been making the rounds:
The commercial is marginally funny, but it makes no sense why Apple would get so upset about it. Apparently, the reason given so far is that the company doesn't like that the glass is shown shattering into large jagged pieces -- but it's not like that's going to cause people to go try to recreate the situation in the commercial. And, if the rumor is true, threatening to remove Newday's apps from the app store is just petty (which, it should be admitted, Apple seems to have no problem with). Of course, the end result of all this -- yet again -- is that more and more people are viewing the ad. And even I don't think Apple is so crafty as to issue the takedown just to get the ad more attention.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Apple, Arbiters Of Art, Say Game About Surviving The Gaza Strip Isn't A Game, Even Though It Is
- Baidu Pushes Back On Chinese Gov't Investigation By Freeing Up Images Related To Tiananmen Square
- Forbes Is Confused: You Can View Content Using An Adblocker By Promising Not To Use An Adblocker
- Redaction Failure In FTC/Amazon Decision Inadvertently Allows Public To See Stuff It Should Have Been Able To See Anyway
- Senators Burr & Feinstein Write Ridiculous Ignorant Op-Ed To Go With Their Ridiculous Ignorant Bill