by Mike Masnick
Thu, Sep 16th 2010 12:46pm
A few folks have been sending in various versions of the fact that the San Louis Obispo police department has decided that the infamous Pedobear meme is something that people need to be warned about because "PedoBear is and should be associated with Internet pedophiles/sexually-preferential offenders who reportedly use him to communicate their interests in young children to each other."
Of course, this ignores what the Pedobear meme is really about -- which is more of a 4chan /b/ "you're being creepy" sorta of thing, which expanded to take on a life of its own (in typical /b/ meme fashion). Amusingly, the police also complain about an internet jokester (with too much free time) dressing up like Pedobear at Comic Con and handing out candy -- noting that after police discovered him, he was "excluded from this family-friendly event." Watch out, Rick Astley, you may be next.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- California Police Department Can't Keep It Real; Deploys Fake Press Releases And Fake Affidavits
- Judge Grants Search Warrant Demanding Info On Everyone Who Searched For A Certain Person's Name
- Driver Sues State After Receiving Ticket For 'Obscene' Stick Figure Vehicle Decal
- Extra Digit Accidentally Typed By Officer Turns UK Man Into A Pedophile
- Officers Cite Nonexistent Law In Attempt To Prevent Citizen From Filming Them During A Traffic Stop