by Mike Masnick
Thu, Sep 16th 2010 12:46pm
A few folks have been sending in various versions of the fact that the San Louis Obispo police department has decided that the infamous Pedobear meme is something that people need to be warned about because "PedoBear is and should be associated with Internet pedophiles/sexually-preferential offenders who reportedly use him to communicate their interests in young children to each other."
Of course, this ignores what the Pedobear meme is really about -- which is more of a 4chan /b/ "you're being creepy" sorta of thing, which expanded to take on a life of its own (in typical /b/ meme fashion). Amusingly, the police also complain about an internet jokester (with too much free time) dressing up like Pedobear at Comic Con and handing out candy -- noting that after police discovered him, he was "excluded from this family-friendly event." Watch out, Rick Astley, you may be next.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Judge Orders Lying, Cheating Government To Return $167,000 To The Man They Stole It From
- Court Orders Halt To New York Law Demanding Online Access To Pawn Shop Acquisition Records
- Data Retention's Slippery Slope: Now Australian Police Want Warrantless Access To Bank Accounts
- Cops Raid Marijuana Dispensary In Order To Play Darts, Sample Edibles And Offer To Kick Amputee Owner 'In The Nub'
- UK Police Carry Out Facial Scans Of 100,000 People Attending Music Festival