by Mike Masnick
Thu, Sep 16th 2010 12:46pm
A few folks have been sending in various versions of the fact that the San Louis Obispo police department has decided that the infamous Pedobear meme is something that people need to be warned about because "PedoBear is and should be associated with Internet pedophiles/sexually-preferential offenders who reportedly use him to communicate their interests in young children to each other."
Of course, this ignores what the Pedobear meme is really about -- which is more of a 4chan /b/ "you're being creepy" sorta of thing, which expanded to take on a life of its own (in typical /b/ meme fashion). Amusingly, the police also complain about an internet jokester (with too much free time) dressing up like Pedobear at Comic Con and handing out candy -- noting that after police discovered him, he was "excluded from this family-friendly event." Watch out, Rick Astley, you may be next.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Administration's One-Year Experimentation With Reining In Police Militarization Apparently Over
- Field Drug Tests: The $2 Tool That Can Destroy Lives
- Police Step Up Arrests For 'Threatening' Social Media Posts In The Wake Of The Dallas Shooting
- Minneapolis PD Issues Questionable DMCA Notice To Bury Its Controversial Recruitment Video
- Sweden Considers Making DNA Donated Purely For Medical Research Available To Police And Insurance Companies