by Mike Masnick
Fri, Aug 27th 2010 12:08am
Ezra Gildesgame writes in to let us know that their open source development firm was inspired by the whole CwF+RtB concept to try to find a different way to fund a whitepaper on Drupal Security. The "tweak" they made was "connect with fans + reason to sponsor," and they were able to find sponsors to fund the whitepaper, while keeping the content free and building up greater connections. Of course, some will note that finding a "sponsor" for a whitepaper is hardly a new idea -- and that's absolutely true. Connecting with Fans and giving them a Reason to Buy doesn't necessarily mean doing something "new" or totally out of the ordinary. It's about looking at what's available, and how it can be used more efficiently. In this case, they realized that they had built up a great community, and their attention (a scarce resource) would be of tremendous interest to some sponsors, which made for an easy sell to the sponsors. Either way, it's nice to see folks inspired to do things based on what we talk about.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Lots Of Newspapers Discovering That Paywalls Don't Work
- Newspaper Association Of America Complains That Comedian John Oliver Failed To Solve Newspaper Biz Model Problem
- China's Home-Grown Version Of Spotify Shows How To Make Money In A World Of Digital Abundance
- Newspaper Association Thinks FTC Should Force Readers To Be Subject To Godawful Ads And Invasive Trackers
- Key And Peele To Livestream 'Sports Commentary' During An 'Upcoming Sports Game' That They Can't Name