DailyDirt: Mars Missions

from the urls-we-dig-up dept

The successful landing of NASA's Curiosity rover on Mars will hopefully be followed by several years of fascinating data collection about our planetary neighbor. The mission has already gathered tons of useful radiation measurements on its journey that will give scientists a better idea of what kind of radiation levels a future manned mission would face on a similar trip to Mars. Here are just a few other interesting Mars-related missions to peruse while Curiosity performs its self-diagnostics before roaming around the surface of Mars. If you'd like to read more awesome and interesting stuff, check out this unrelated (but not entirely random!) Techdirt post.

Anonymous Coward, Aug 8th, 2012 @ 5:01pm

Fly me to the moon and let me play among the stars

Let me see what spring is like on jupiter and mars

Anonymous Coward, Aug 8th, 2012 @ 5:07pm

upper limit of life on Mars..?

So is there any evidence so far that shows that there couldn't be vast life on Mars?

There are all sorts of "artists depictions" of ecosystems that look like rainforests on Mars, but how unrealistic or realistic are those concepts?

But maybe if we drill for oil on Mars... we'll find some fossil fuels... Drill, baby, drill!!!

Wally (profile), Aug 8th, 2012 @ 5:15pm

Memories

Hi have very fond memories of the hype surrounding the 1997 mars rover Pheonix in 1997. My dad and I watched it roll off it's ramp via dialiup modem.

Pixelation, Aug 8th, 2012 @ 5:22pm

Re: upper limit of life on Mars..?

"Drill, baby, drill!!!"

You worked really hard for that one.

Anonymous Coward, Aug 8th, 2012 @ 5:39pm

Re: Memories

... the 1997 mars rover Pheonix...

You're a little confused on names:

• The 1997 Mars Pathfinder mission had the Sojourner rover.

• The 2007 Phoenix Mars mission was a stationary lander near the polar regions.

abc gum, Aug 8th, 2012 @ 5:54pm

Too bad several networks are claiming copyright upon the publicly funded NASA videos and getting them taken down.

These people know no shame.

Anonymous Coward, Aug 8th, 2012 @ 8:25pm

More wasted money.

Stephan Kinsella (profile), Aug 8th, 2012 @ 8:51pm

Waste of money

Of course every cent spent by the state, including this schlock, is a waste of resources.

Wally (profile), Aug 8th, 2012 @ 9:44pm

Re: Re: Memories

Oops, yeah, my bad, still watched the Mars Pathfinder. That's the result of speed reading on Wikipedia's charts. But still I have fond memories of sitting around our 13 inch monitor to watch an image the size of a postage stamp. My goodness technology has come a long way.

Xbox 360 owners had fun with it. Their "game" from NASA was quite cool from what I heard.

Wally (profile), Aug 8th, 2012 @ 9:52pm

I love NASA. They've always made their works public domain and open for use. They are the only government agency anyone can trust because they don't pull shit lik that. Please do not politicize any articles by Micheal Ho. I think the idea with his articles are to break away from the debates and help us all connect in one way or another.

Wally (profile), Aug 8th, 2012 @ 10:04pm

My connection to Curiosity

I feel sort of a connection to the whole Mars rover project because I'm from Ohio, US. The NASA Glenn research center in the city of Cleveland tested the airbag deployment system ^_^

Michael Ho (profile), Aug 8th, 2012 @ 11:32pm

Wally,

Thanks for defending these DailyDirt posts.... yes, they're meant to be a break from the usual political outrage around here.

But sometimes there's no stopping the political debates....

Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 9th, 2012 @ 2:12am

Re: upper limit of life on Mars..?

The surface is bombarded with high-intensity ultraviolet radiation that would kill pretty much all Earth organisms. That radiation has also created a large quantity of peroxides over the entire surface that would react like powerful bleach with living cells, killing them.

But apart from that, the question is still pretty much open.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 9th, 2012 @ 2:13am

Re: They've always made their works public domain and open for use.

That’s a requirement for anything published by a US government agency.

Kevin (profile), Aug 9th, 2012 @ 5:13am

Job done for us

"Well here we are on Mars. Nothing we need to do to stuff up this planet"

abc gum, Aug 9th, 2012 @ 6:20am

I'm curious what you think is political about this problem.

Wally (profile), Aug 9th, 2012 @ 6:26am

Any time Michael Ho. While I cannot stop all political debates, I try to keep an open mind.

I might add that some of your posts bring back a lot of fond memories.

Pertaining to Mars, my 8th birthday, Central Ohio's infamous Science Museum, COSCI, had a Mars exhibit where you got tickets and had the opportunity to perform geological surveys of the surface of Mars. Average age of my group was 7. We got in and much to my mother's chagrin and in spite of the fact they over-booked our flight to mars, we had a good time.

abc gum, Aug 9th, 2012 @ 10:45am

Re: Re: Re: Re:

Seriously, in what way was the comment political?

Anonymous Coward, Aug 9th, 2012 @ 2:48pm

OMG, there may have once been water on Mars!

SFW?

Wally (profile), Aug 9th, 2012 @ 11:24pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

abc gum,
    I send you my deepest appologies. Initially my comment was a bit directed at you and I lashed out to everyone.

As for your comment, it would have been slightly more appropriate (at least in my opinion) in the article pertaining to Cripps Company's takedown request of the footage. Your statement was not political and I do admit that. I just feared it would have attracted the attention of AC trolls.

Michael Ho's articles are a break from debate.

Michael, did you ever teach or have any relatives that taught 7th grade science?

Wally (profile), Aug 9th, 2012 @ 11:30pm

Landing

Sorry folks. Found this on the Cheezburger Network and could not resist it.

Anonymous Coward, Aug 10th, 2012 @ 2:54pm

Re: upper limit of life on Mars..?

Just ask John Carter.

Michael Ho (profile), Aug 10th, 2012 @ 5:11pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

Wally,

Uh, nope, I've never taught at the 7th grade level... undergrads, sure.

And I don't know of any relatives who teach 7th grade....

My surname is fairly common, though, so I'm sure there are plenty of teachers out there with my last name.

Wally (profile), Aug 11th, 2012 @ 10:00pm

Political may not be the right word for your post. I simply thought it was not right for this article. No worries, know what you mean abc gum.